Every Heart a Doorway: Seanan McGuire's subversive, gorgeous tale of the rejects from the realms of faerie

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I’ll have to take a look at that. I’ll see if my library has it.

I have to admit, after devouring Susanna Clarke’s novel and shortstories and Gaiman’s ‘Stardust’, I am hungry for faerie and sidhe stories and folklore. There is surprisingly little available (that a 39 year old would choose to read); even folklore or historical/cultural info is hard to find.

4 Likes

Looks interesting. I hadn’t realized Myra Grant was a nom de plume for Ms. McGuire. Until now I was worried all she could write were post-apocalyptic zombie/infestation stories.

Looks like mine does not and due to the wonders of the modern bookstore the closest one that does is a 30 min drive away.

Mine has it, but the hold list looks like it’s months long.

Once I could get back to my library I thought I had some humble recommendations that I could make to you. I liked Changling by Delia Sherman about a changling in a New York Between run by the Fairy Folk. I might also recommend Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente which combines Russian folklore with a secret history of Russia in the twentieth century. Valente also writes the Girl who verbed Fairyland series, a young adult series about a girl who travels to fairyland, which I have enjoyed, but they are not steeped in the kind of faerie folklore that I am guessing you are looking for.

You wouldn’t go wrong with American Gods Not necessarily faeire but well researched folklore and internally consistent magical beings with great stories.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the recommendations. You intuited pretty accurately what it is I am hoping to find. Fiction based on Faerie folklore (and compilations of actual faerie tale folklore). I might be just looking in the wrong places, but I have found literally almost nothing about European faerie folklore. I am interested in Scandinavian troll/forest, English faerie tales, Sidhe folklore, etc. I know so little about the topic that I don’t really even know what to look for, which is probably what’s hindering my searches, actually. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Another thing to look at is the Faery books by Dennis L. McKiernan (Once Upon a Winter’s Night/Summer Day/Autumn Eve/Spring Morn/Dreadful Time), which are largely based off of welded-together stories from the Colour Fairy Books.

If you’re actually looking for the old European fairy tales, you might want those books themselves:

Edit: Get the text for free at Project Gutenberg:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/author?name=Lang%2C%20Andrew%2C%201844-1912

2 Likes

I just found the Andrew Lang collections yesterday randomly. I guess I wasn’t looking very hard, because all the sudden I’ve added another 4-5k pages to my backlog of reading material. Thanks for the recs, much much appreciated, many big-ups to ye sir. Espech the free text online, my library only had a few volumes.

1 Like

Glad to be of service!

You might like Seanan McGuire’s October Daye books. Her website has handy links and some downloadable short stories, so you get a feel for her work.

http://www.seananmcguire.com/

Dunno if this will help, but I’ve read several of the authors on this list and personally like the genre.

My wife gave me his first three a month ago - I really enjoyed them.

1 Like

Not tried that author yet, I should probably get through my to read list before I buy more books, but I’ll put recommended authors higher up the to buy list.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.