Dr. Oz's research killed over 300 dogs, many other animals

Originally published at: Dr. Oz's research killed over 300 dogs, many other animals | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Hmm, how many humans did he kill. Gotta be at least a few…

10 Likes

It’s not unusual for a scientist involved in medical research to be involved with experiments that killed hundreds or thousands of animals. All of us have benefited from experiments that did not benefit the animals killed in those experiments. That said, there’s no excuse for not meeting established humane standards.

14 Likes

Hey, you can’t get rich selling snake oil if you aren’t willing to murder a bunch of snakes.

16 Likes

Well, I’ve not seen any evidence that he killed anyone… Absence of evidence isn’t evidence of absence, or something.

2 Likes

Agreed. What is needed here is a detailed list of the charges. Without all the information it’s hard to know what to think. Worse, the article lists possible offenses (the worst), says there was a $2000 fine (chump change), and leads one to believe the dots are connected and end at Oz. I’m no fan of the guy but, give me a break, details are important.

3 Likes

Dolphins never° kill people.

°leave evidence that sometimes they

9 Likes

“Dr. Oz has killed puppies. If elected he will kill more puppies!”
-John Fetterman ad I’d like to see

5 Likes

It seems to me that every neighborhood had that ONE kid who was notorious for impromptu animal vivisection and breaking and entering. Most of those little psychopaths end up in a life of crime and prison sentences, but some become doctors and politicians.

2 Likes

TBF - people would care a lot less about snakes… just saying.

4 Likes

Harrison Ford Snakes GIF

5 Likes

I would respect him more if he were killing snakes in studies before just selling snake oil. I think these charges stem from the more legitimate portion of his career.

3 Likes

If the “legitimate” portion of his career involved regular violations of the Animal Welfare Act then what does that say about where he is today?

2 Likes

So he went from animal experimentation to grifting gullible humans.

That’s about the same as saying “Oh, I don’t pay junkies to crash stolen cars into buildings for the insurance money anymore. Arson is so much easier!”

1 Like

There’s a bit of irony here as well, as Republicans tried to smear Anthony Fauci with animal cruelty charges in the past. That all amounted to a bit of a nothingburger, but the tl;dr is that Fauci was head of the agency that approved funding for research that ultimately resulted in the death of beagles, including work on dogs that was conducted in Tunisia (but not the work his accusers alleged) and work where dogs’ vocal cords were removed for OHSA reasons. However, he didn’t personally approve these grants - they were part of a batch of “thousands”.

The lesson of course is that you can get a lot of political mileage out of accusing someone of animal cruelty. You are correct that the details really do matter - Fauci seems to be in the clear, whereas Oz crossed some sort of line since he was ultimately fined, though how severe/intentional the violation was is not clear. $2000 doesn’t seem like much, but maybe the violation was severe, and the legislation just has really weak penalties.

3 Likes

Truly a Mengele for our times.

You’re being far to kind to call this charlatan a scientist.

3 Likes

Toto does not want to meet OZ no more.

3 Likes

He left the field decades ago, but earlier in his career it was a small part of his day job.

Eta: charlatan should certainly be the lede on his CV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.