Dress code. Again

What about kilts? Or the Samoan lava-lava, which some of New Zealand’s schools allow in their dress codes?

It strikes me that a unisex school dress code is feasible.

3 Likes

I know what a narc is. Why does the narc have a gun though?

3 Likes

How do they break the uniform code I proposed? Does a lava-lavas cover the shoulders?

But you make my point about just how much of this argument is about expression not sexism.

Like any boy a girl wishes to wear the dress of her choice, the one she feels confident or satisfies. Let not put a hold on ones freedom. As simple as that…

With no limits whatever, right? Topless is good? Because if it’s not you’re limiting her expression, and thats evil.

Before you start saying to trust people’s common sense, I dated a girl in college who would have gone to class topless for chuckles if she thought she wouldn’t be expelled. She was a learning experience and then some.

They don’t, didn’t mean to imply that. But merely naming a male skirt equivalent in the dress code would make it explicit.

I wouldn’t mind wearing a kilt. There’s even a family link which would allow an appropriate traditional clan tartan. But unfortunately there is a tendency for (usually drunken or very forward women) to get handy and check whether underwear is being worn. :scream: :flushed:

1 Like

Lets not cross that fine line. I’m totally against indecent dressing…

1 Like

Ah, but defining that is a can of worms and then some. As alluded to up thread, some considered anything less than a burka indecent. Some might consider indecent dressing an absurd term.

The road to hell is paved with things people though were self-evident.

Many jurisdictions (rightly IMNSHO) do not consider breasts as indecent. If “decency in school” requires a shirt and pants (or equivalent), why do you need to extend that to gender?

I don’t have an issue with a policy that says “shirt covering to the collar and waist, pants or equivalent covering below the knee” because that’s gender neutral - men and women can equally conform.

as @emy says, women don’t need separate skirt length or dress or whatever requirements. If you’re going to have a dress code for decorum, then it should be the same for both genders. Full stop.

Your girlfriend, if she behaved as noted above, should have been treated no differently than a man choosing to sit in class topless. It either violates the dress code of the establishment or it doesn’t.

10 Likes

well said. This debate has been prevalent especially in the recent times

Aside from all that, what about an adult in a position of authority disrupting the school and using an armed thug to assault a child on school grounds? (Presumably to avoid disrupting the school.)

Having security officers around might be reasonable, even arming them in case they need to respond to a violent crime, while some might not agree, could be argued to be reasonable. But wearing a shirt that someone else doesn’t think is pretty is not a violent crime. Maybe schools need a zero-tolerance policy against the staff bullying children so that the cop could have arrested the principal.

Assuming that things happened as described, of course.

4 Likes

So most seem to agree that a dress code is okay as long as it’s applied equally. I read the article links, nowhere did I get the impression that a male student could wear a tank top or other garment that showed shoulders and back. Yet there were instant accusations that the policy is sexist. On what evidence?

Dude, are you seriously that fucking oblivious?

Men and women traditionally wear different styles of clothes. Period. Saying “a boy couldn’t wear an off-the-shoulder blouse either hurr durr” is extremely disingenuous. Using this bad false equivalency once is amateur hour. Using it as the linchpin in your argument only makes you sound incredibly stupid.

4 Likes

Several members above said a unisex dress code was acceptable and non-sexist. Why don’t you attack them also?

And once more the argument​ is about expression rather than sexism.

I wonder if someone had to describe the bourgeoisie burqa … what would it be ?

Not yet, but I have to start somewhere.

This thread is just so much scrollpast it’s not even funny. I would respond to their comments, but I don’t even want to read their comments. It’s just so much college freshman cul-de-sac-Libertarian bullshit.

If a unisex dress code is required, then set it for traditional female business casual and allow boys to cross-dress. That wouldn’t bother me. However, because a school isn’t a traditional white-collar office setting, the dress code should be different. Either gender should be permitted to wear shorts, for example. In this case, I’d just go with no indecent exposure and no profanity/incendiary slogans on clothing.

But it is about sexism, and you don’t get to say that it isn’t when it obviously is.

4 Likes

I proposed almost exactly that far up thread in post 21.
if you wear pants you must wear a button down shirt, tie and jacket or sweater, if you wear a skirt, you must wear a shoulder covering shirt and the skirt must reach your fingertips

I cannot express my sorrow that I posted this.

5 Likes

[quote=“gellfex, post:39, topic:101479”]
Several members above said a unisex dress code was acceptable and non-sexist. Why don’t you attack them also?
[/quote]Bandwagon fallacy. Popularity is not a component of being correct, and is frequently the opposite.

[quote=“gellfex, post:39, topic:101479”]
And once more the argument​ is about expression rather than sexism.
[/quote]Circular logic and a black and white fallacy. You are the one to introduce the expression vs sexism, and claimed to have solved it yourself. You have set up a world where you cannot discuss two topics at once, or that topics must be addressed individually without regard to another.

[quote=“gellfex, post:42, topic:101479”]
if you wear pants you must wear a button down shirt, tie and jacket or sweater, if you wear a skirt, you must wear a shoulder covering shirt and the skirt must reach your fingertips
[/quote]This is not the same thing that @LearnedCoward pointed out. In fact, banning bare shoulders is explicitly sexist because the logic is that collarbones drive men wild and that women’s fashion is solely for the objectification of men.

The fingertip length skirt is probably the easiest measure to use for shortness of skirts/shorts, and is preferable to many schools using rulers or measuring sticks or whatever. However, the problem with fingertip length is that not all anatomies are the same so there are people with long arms that make it difficult to find clothes that meet the standard, or short arms that make it easy to violate the spirit of the rule.

5 Likes

Ah, you’ve finally made an argument rather than an ad hominem attack. This is the expression over equality argument. That there is no reason to restrict women’s dress other than sexism. What about professional dress codes? And back to my comments about why not topless in that case upthread.

Only @popobawa4u is utterly consistent in his position.