Drink, drive, die

I agree, DUIs are much deadlier than Distracted Driving so clearly DUIs should be #1.

1 Like

One of the technologies that targets speeding is the average-speed camera.

Hereā€™s a story about the effect of their introduction on the A9 in Scotland.

The A9 Safety Group, which involves Transport Scotland, police and road
maintenance companies, said overall speeding was down from about one in
three drivers to one in 20.

[Edited for affect/effect.]

8 Likes

Cool.
Not on the interstates but the Seattle city arterial roads here they have put in not cameras but indicators displaying your speed as you approach and if you are 5mph+ over the posted limit it says SLOW DOWN.
They seem to be effective at least in the area approaching them and a bit after.

1 Like

Because the checkpoints are keeping DUI from being the leading cause. Clearly, checkpoints work.

Weā€™re concerned that saving money might save lives.

1 Like

Not reallyā€¦Put one cop way ahead to look out, and he radios to the others ahead who to pull over. By the time you see the lights its too late.

Drink drive kill is why I stay off the roads. Some stretches seem designed to distract you from what you should be focusing on.

So. How many DUIs do you have?

7 Likes

But since DUI is not the leading cause why then is the penalty more severe? Doesnā€™t make any sense. Read the original postā€¦nobody explained why TV commercials, or the penalty are skewed.

One, about 25 years ago, and none since.

Because DUIs are deadlier.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good. Sorry, Iā€™m feeling a bit snippy, I guess; I just figured people donā€™t usually get this hopped up about something unless it affects them personally.

I think people are beginning to pay more attention to distracted driving now; itā€™s always been something of a problem, but now that nearly everyone has a smart phone, or at least a cell phone with texting capabilities, itā€™s way up. Playing with your phone actually can affect your driving skill, but itā€™s probably never going to make you drive the wrong way on the freeway.

Speeding, I donā€™t know what to tell ya. I seem to recall some publicity campaigns in the past, but I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d be all that effective. In my opinion the main thing that makes people slow down is seeing a police carā€“at least thatā€™s what works on me :wink:

5 Likes

Not according to the statisticsā€¦and I didnā€™t publish the numbers. DUI is #3 so it is indeed not deadlier.

Well then obviously it needs to be #1. Drunk driving kills people!

This message brought to you by Anheuser-Busch.

1 Like

Do you have a link?

You mentioned the NHTSA, so I went here

NHTSAā€™s NCSA Research Note ā€œDistracted Driving 2014ā€ (DOT HS 812 260),

Would seem to suggest that:

Ten percent of fatal crashes, 18 percent of injury crashes, and 16 percent of all police-reported motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2014 were reported as distraction-affected crashes

They say this is 3179 fatalities out of 32,675.

NHTSAā€™s NCSA Research Note ā€œ2014 Motor Vehicle Crashes: Overviewā€ (DOT HS 812 246)

Says that

In 2014, there were 9,967 people who lost their lives in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes.

(out of the same total of 32,675 fatalities)

7 Likes

Read your statistics again. DUI is the third most common cause of all crashes, but alcohol-related crashes are much more likely to result in fatalities.

From the NTHSA:

9 Likes

From the NTHSA:

Alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities accounted for 31 percent of the total motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the United States.
Distracted driving fatalities accounted for 10 percent of the total motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the United States.

You answered your own question! If only 31% of traffic fatalities are from DUI that means there are 69% more people dying from violations OTHER than DUIā€¦do you see what Iā€™m saying now? So why is there so much hype about DUI when it is NOT the leading cause of traffic fatalities?

Itā€™s interesting how lax DUI laws were prior to the 70ā€™s. Heck, I seem to recall multiple Cary Grant films that featured drunk driving. (Topper, North by Northwest, Notoriousā€¦)

2 Likes

No, because that 69% of traffic fatalities represents a large number of different factors and causes, many of which are difficult if not impossible to prevent. Even the safest driver might end up involved in a traffic fatality under the wrong conditions.

Drunk driving is the single biggest risk factor for a traffic fatality and is 100% preventable.

11 Likes