Driver tries to kick cyclist, takes a Superman pratfall

Yes. I saw this too. The cyclist almost hit a pedestrian in his pursuit of the car. I think both of them have road rage issues.

8 Likes

Yes, now I see it. If that woman had jumped several feet backwards he would have hit her.

4 Likes

Very well stated. Since I was hit side-wise by a car running a red light, I live by the following:

“You may be in the right, but you may also be dead right”

If educating the masses is this cyclist’s purpose, there are far better ways to do it then angrily chasing down one motorist to yell and threaten them. If survival is their purpose ( and I strongly recommend that purpose) then, again, chasing down a motorist to yell and threaten them is a very bad strategy.

1 Like

Like, say, creating a video with >5 million views?

But yeah, if I were that cyclist, I’d have videoed the car passing me, put that on my channel, maybe have called the police (not like they’d do anything), and gone about my day.

3 Likes

Conversely, getting out of your car to remonstrate with someone, no matter who was the asshole, leaves you very vulnerable to a well-timed kick to the door. Best to just swear horribly and move on.

3 Likes

More like 500 views then. For the entire YouTube channel. Doing the right thing isn’t very popular, is it?

2 Likes

Nice snark. But I believe you’re referring to second pedestrian, not the first one who clearly jumped forward to avoid being hit.

1 Like

Like I have a YouTube Channel. Or a videocamera. Or a bike. Or I’d call the cops.

2 Likes

OK, I had to looked again. Are we’re both talking about the woman about 38 seconds in? I’m pretty sure the video is sped up through this part. If I’m wrong, and the cyclist is actually going that fast, then yes, that was a close one.

1 Like

That’s the one I believe @davide405 was originally commenting about.

I seen bad drivers when I drive and bad cyclists when I bike (single file, people!). But I’ve also seen very polite drivers and cyclists, too. I think painting one side or the other with broad strokes is counterproductive. And in this case, both need a time out.

1 Like

Yes, the video is sped up.

The cyclist’s speed is irrelevant, because he does appear to startle her (the pedestrian) as he blasts around the corner in hot pursuit of the driver who…

… wait for it …

… startled him (the cyclist) by passing too close.

[snark]
Wouldn’t it have been funny if she came running up, a few minutes into the cyclist’s pissing match with the motorist and said “Too close, mate! You passed me too close!” :question:
[/snark]

11 Likes

It’s good to know that Murica isn’t the only place in the world where one has to deal with tantrum-throwing man-babies.

2 Likes

I appreciate your post isn’t necessarily suggesting otherwise, but to be clear there is never room on a single-lane residential street to pass a cyclist.

Ever.

Although he shouldn’t have chased him down (stating the obvious much everyone?) it’s easy to understand why he did, I probably would have done as well. But to those attempting to paint this as ‘two bad road users’ can go fuck themselves. This is an understandably annoyed (and yet still polite!) cyclist who was endangered by a wreckless driver, and an animal that attempted to assault his near-victim for pointing out his illegal driving habits. I’m sorry but I think I can allow people who nearly get seriously injured the right to be annoyed at those operating dangerous machinery carelessly around them. Call me crazy!

3 Likes

Poor advice, and depending on where you live contradictory to the rules of the road.

In the UK groups of cyclists are encouraged to ride in twos, because it makes passing them easier and quicker. You should already be leaving enough space for two bikes when you pass anyway (or you’re too close), and having to pass several bikes in a line can be dangerous because you’re more than doubling the distance you need to overtake.

Just pretend you’re overtaking any other road user, like a car, or a van. It’s not complex.

Edit: helpful diagram:

10 Likes

[quote=“SamSam, post:9, topic:64382, full:true”]
It looks like he had two fixed camera, one facing forward and one backward.
[/quote]Here are a couple of purpose-built cameras:
http://www.rideye.com/
https://cycliq.com/product

Kickstarter projects, natch.

2 Likes

So… vehicular offenses, uttering threats, assault, attempted vandalism and theft…

2 Likes

Exactly! In most places I’ve been in the US, drivers get very annoyed when bikers do this. It’s like they think the road is meant for cars, and they’re doing bikers a favor by letting them have a bit of it.

2 Likes

Turns out this is Reading, the town I did a lot of cycling around in a previous life. Wasn’t the most fun place to cycle. Lots of traffic and lots of narrow Victorian residential streets like this one. I got hit a couple of times.

I can’t see any acknowledgement of this yet on Thames Valley police’s twitter feed. Wonder if that will change now this video got so popular.

Cyclist-hating car drivers are chock full of cognitive dissonance. They’re the kind of people that will berate you for using the road legally (but in a way they find inconvenient) just as readily as they’ll berate you for using a short stretch of path, safely or no. They just hate that you’re on a bike, for some completely irrational, bone headed reason.

Given the way this mouth breather reacted when the cyclist pointed out the many ways in which he was a bad (and illegal) driver I’d actually guess that he buzzed the cyclist on purpose. He had a chip on his shoulder way before he caught up with him, and his tirade made it clear that he simply didn’t like cyclists. Take away his license if he can’t play well with others, it’s not a right, it’s a privilege, and far too many dangerous people are allowed on the roads as it is because of this entitlement.

5 Likes

Your diagram is nice but unless it’s a shared lane (“Sharrow”) cyclists need to ride right in California. If there is a dedicated bike lane, cyclists can ride two abreast if there is room. No bike lane means cyclist are supposed to ride to right. And California just initiated a law with the six feet rule for cars, which means cars must give cyclists on roads six feet of clearance in order to pass. This is a terrific law that will save lives. But cyclists passing each other or runners or pedestrians need to be considerate, too. (Note: I’m not writing “six feet” clearance, but just being considerate.)

As far as passing on a two-way bike trail, if both cyclists can’t fit inside their lane they need to go at it single file. I don’t think I should have to slow down to a crawl ('cause I’m pretty slow) just because someone it’s impatient and decides to pass at the moment that other cyclists are coming from the other direction; I think they can wait until it’s safe to pass.

I think the idea of massive groups of cyclists performing time trials on a road way is what can be frustrating for other cyclists, car drivers, runners and pedestrians. It would be wonderful if there could be velodromes specifically created for this. I like to be patient with cyclists running yellow-red lights because it’s hard to stop and start–this it’s understandable. However, I’ve seen (more than once) 10 cyclists in a line of fifteen blow through a red just to keep pace with their buddies on Pacific Coast Highway in Sunset Beach.