Dropbox responds to "Drop Dropbox" campaign after Condoleezza Rice joins board

Hard to believe that anyone trusts tech companies anymore.

I recommend SpiderOak for this. Someone with moderate skill in system administration could roll their own solution for personal file syncing, and one could use OpenPGP to encrypt files to exchange with a specific person. But SpiderOak’s the best available solution for secure file syncing and sharing for general use.

1 Like

Hello,

SpiderOak claims they have “zero knowledge” of their customers’ stored data, and if that the case, then that’s a good thing. But I have to wonder how they would respond when presented with a search warrant, subpoena or national security letter.

Hello,

On a semi-related topic, it seems Dropbox did not make resonable efforts to notify customers they were affected by the Heartbleed bug in OpenSSL: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/technology/dropbox-in-heartbleed-fail/story-e6frgakx-1226885147127

I wonder how many remaining Dropbox customers know they need to change their passwords?

Well, all they’ve got are the identities of their customers, but nothing that could determine the contents of the files.

You’d be no better off than if a state agency raided your home and seized your server with encrypted files on it, but no worse off, either.

1 Like

There was this discussion about alternatives

1 Like

I’m sure someone downthread has mentioned it already, but Owncloud worked for me in the DIY file repository/sharing area of things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.