Dropping Dropbox - what's a replacement?

Yep, had a couple Synologys I manage have that happen. It’s a pain, but an easy fix. As long as you keep the DSM updated, you should be fine. Anyone with a Synology, make sure to do the update that came out today… fixes the OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability.

2 Likes

The website Drop Dropbox has a few suggestions: Box.com, Microsoft OneDrive, SpiderOak, and Google Drive.

I would not recommend Google Drive. We use it at work, and it more-or-less sucks.

2 Likes

It may help some to know that ownCloud supports “external storage” connectors, which allow you to access, for example, your Dropbox account from your ownCloud installation.

This would allow you to reduce to a free-tier Dropbox account to use for those clients/peers/whoever that insist on sharing with you via Dropbox.

http://doc.owncloud.org/server/6.0/admin_manual/apps/files_external/index.html

4 Likes

Third this… and they have great iOS apps too. There are Android apps as well but I can’t speak to how good they are… Not to mention one machine, while more upfront cost, can be an email server, a home media server, an automated backup, a photos repository, camera surveillance server, and much more. It is an incredibly polished, accessible (for non-techy types) and well rounded product for something so powerful and flexible.

2 Likes

Oh come. It’s not like they put GWB on the board or anything.

I’m a big fan of BitCasa. You get 20GB for free, and 1TB for only $10/month. They’ve also got a decent API as well.

2 Likes

She did whatever she thought was necessary to protect US intelligence interests. Perhaps she will apply that same rigorous (ruthless) standard to Dropbox users?

…no?

I have a soft spot for Box, because - through one giveaway or another - I’ve accumulated quite a large allowance of free space, and they don’t seem to throttle uploads. I’ve used Box for dumping photos onto when I’m on the road, and it’s been good.

SpiderOak seems attractive too because of the encryption aspect, although it’s not really possible to verify the claims they make with respect to the security of the uploads: you just have to take it on faith that it’s as secure as they say.

The real problem is that Dropbox is ‘supported’ by dozens of apps and the alternatives generally aren’t. So if you want the convenience of syncing between devices, Dropbox is nearly the only game in town.

This is a stupid state of affairs. To most intents and purposes, all the apps need is access to a shared folder on each device, whose contents are guaranteed to be kept up to date by something. It shouldn’t matter to the app if it’s Dropbox or SpiderOak or Box or OwnCloud or whatever that puts files in that folder (or copies them from the folder to the cloud), just so long as the app can count on finding the latest version there when it looks for them. It’s one of the pernicious features of the brave new app-oriented world that everything is programmed against some specific app or service, rather than against open protocols. Just remember the clusterfuck when Google abandoned Reader, which everyone was using for syncing RSS.

Tying an app to a specific third-party service makes that service a single point of failure: if it goes down, or gets bought up and killed by Faceboogle, or hires the unquiet ghost of John Wayne Gacy to serve on its board of directors, then your users are out of luck.

11 Likes

Mark,

Count me in as another promoter of ownCloud. As a previous poster stated, you can install ownCloud on a NAS (such as one from Synology) and set it up as a RAID array. They are not terribly expensive, ownCloud is fairly easy to install and set up. Best of all - you can have Terabytes!

I’m fairly new to ownCloud, but I have it syncing files between 2 PCs, an iPad and an iPhone.

Good Luck!

Kevin

2 Likes

AeroFS offers Dropbox feature set by creating a peer-to-peer network connecting among your devices. I can’t speak for its security, but it’s likely an improvement over a service which stores all your stuff on their servers.

Aero FS personal

2 Likes

Happy with Google Drive.

Yeah, lets boycott every organization who has ever hired someone we dislike! Who cares that they may be really good at what they do, or that the company may be forced to be doing it… Lets just put all the innocent people who work there out of work because of our modern entitlement issues…

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t like their sharing service, but I do like the size of the free space and their attitude about privacy.

I’ve recently installed an open source PHP package called Pydio (http://pyd.io/) on my web hosting service. While it requires you to have some sort of web hosting service and is not as simple to use as Drop Box, it meets all my needs. PC Desktop (JAVA), Android and iOS clients are also available.

Is any one else worried about this increasing trend for influential people and organizations to mount a public campaign against any business or individual they disagree with?

1 Like

I’m tempted to go full on Godwin, but instead I’ll go with this

6 Likes

Nope. People getting involved in politics is a good thing.

8 Likes

If a data storage company is forced to hire anyone with a reputation like Condoleezza Rice, isn’t it a good idea to find somewhere else who offers a similar service?

I do not need to show working class solidarity to people who work against the interests of a free and fair society.

10 Likes

Mark, Synology. It can be your personal cloud and numerous other wonderful things. the UI is great.

I tried Spideroak once. It was stupendously slow on my desktop so I dropped it. Others, however, have not had that experience so it may be some peculiarity of my configuration.

I have been using Crashplan lately for cloud backup. They have a mobile app that allows me to access anything backed up from any of my many computers. I’ve only been using Dropbox for sharing and the free account is plenty large enough for that. But give this development, an alternative would be welcome.

The killer deal that Dropbox offers is instant upload of anything taken from my mobile camera. I’d like to at least replicate that functionality.

1 Like