Druids prop up faerie stone knocked over by a bull to stop bad luck, sparking government investigation

That’s the one. I thought it was ok. Certainly many worse films out there and the premise looked like one could make decent series out of it if one wanted.

5 Likes

“So to recap: a bull knocked over an ancient stone, which caused a spree of misfortune”

This should really be:

“So to recap: a bull knocked over an ancient stone, which caused some stupid and ignorant humans to associate with a spree of misfortune”

2 Likes

My wife and I quite enjoyed it, but we have sometimes been accused of having lousy taste. As with any such genre shows, there are some predictable twists and some eye rolls, but overall I’m hoping for a sequel.

It may well have. Bloom was definitely chewing scenery and the allegorical racism was pretty ham-fisted. I don’t think it’ll be as fondly remembered as something like The Sopranos, but I enjoyed it more because of the genre elements.

3 Likes

Oh it’s well I do remember that bleak November morn
The bureaucrat came to yell about us moving the old stone.
They sought to investigate and they made quite a scene,
And that’s another reason why I left old Skibbereen.

8 Likes

If you have been you will definitely remember. It’s the only village built into a stone circle.

3 Likes

You should get in touch with the law firm of Enfield and Gelert:

5 Likes

Correlation is not necessarily a lack of causation!

2 Likes

Hrmm some of the pics seem familiar - and other don’t… I will have to dig up my pics and see if I can jog my memory/compare them.

It would be a considerable surprise if you hadn’t! Most of the centre of Wiltshire is chalk with grass on top, the North-western corner is Brash, a very stony limestone soil, it’s actually the very bottom part of the chain of hills that constitutes the Cotswolds.
As regards Avebury, which isn’t all that far from where I live, it wasn’t until Alexander Keiller, whose family produced marmalade of the same name, came to the area and decided to reconstruct what was left of the stone circle; it has suffered centuries of ill-use, stones broken up for buildings materials, or knocked down and buried, because of their believed pagan, or ‘devil-worship’ association. He was an amateur archaeologist, so it can only be imagined what the official response would be if the likes of English Heritage and The National Trust had been around a century or so ago!
In fact, the North-eastern quadrant, which doesn’t have any visible stones, actually does, but they’re still laying under the grass, where they were toppled and buried, because the National Trust won’t raise them, because they don’t want to damage any possible archaeological features! This is ridiculous, because anything underneath only dates back about three hundred years or so, and unless they investigate, they’re never going to know!
And in fact, they will intervene - around ten years ago, two stones were investigated for possible instability, they were leaning, and after a carefully executed dig, it was found one had moved; a garage wall had been built right next to it, but demolished by Keiller, and which had compromised the socket the foot of the stone was set in, so it was carefully pulled upright and the socket properly filled and stabilised. The other stone, however, was still in exactly the same position it had been set in 5000 years ago. The stone is roughly three metres tall, but they discovered another two metres below ground! The stone weighs about 80 tonnes…

5 Likes
10 Likes

Came here for the inevitable 'Tap reference. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Seems like Murphy’s Law of Local Bureaucracy: when you ask for help from a local agency, they will ignore you right up to the moment you get tired of waiting and deal with it yourself, whereupon they will magically appear to notify you have violated an obscure ordinance.

8 Likes

Which would you rather deal with – the fae, or human bureaucracy? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

4 Likes

Oh, my. That story title needs medical attention.

1 Like

Or worse - fae bureaucracy!

4 Likes

Cool! Perhaps I’ll check it out then. Sounds like it might be fun despite the bad reviews.

3 Likes

The majority of archaeological monuments in Ireland, including standing stones, are protected under the National Monuments Acts and anyone wishing to carry out work on one must give two months’ written notice to the Minister for Heritage.

So it’s all the bull’s fault for not filing the proper paperwork?

6 Likes

Ah, the bull wasn’t ‘working’. Scratching yourself is a leisure activity - that’s form 47-3/B and a three month notice period.

7 Likes
1 Like

No, those guys are cool. As long as you use the proper forms.

3 Likes