Drums of War

Yep… I in fact had to look up that film to remember the name of the massacre… the final scenes on that film, where it switches to live action, and you’re dropped into the middle of screaming women is just seered into my brain.

10 Likes

God, that sounds horrible. I think i will pass.

9 Likes

I was describing it to someone in work the next day and started sobbing and had to run away!

9 Likes

It’s a great film, but it is really tough. It does dig deep into that particular conflict, through the eyes of an Israeli soldier, which I think is a valuable perspective since it does not sugar-coat or downplay the brutality of the occupation. It’s a rare thing. It’s really about him digging into his own trauma for his participation in the massacre.

But it’s sure as shit not light viewing, despite being animated.

Yeah. I don’t know if I could watch it again, as good as I think it is… Just really brutal, but not in an “edgelord” kind of way.

9 Likes

I think I went to the cinema and watched that and Hunger back to back so I was pretty raw.

9 Likes

Is Hunger the one about Bobby Sands? It was directed by Steve McQueen wasn’t it?

I have never seen that, but should check it out… Of course, everytime I have some historical drama that’s exploring dark episodes in history, my family gets annoyed with me! They make it seem like every Friday movie night is some forced march across a warzone or something! :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Hunger is great. It was Steve McQueen’s first film but as soon as I heard about it I knew he’d do a great job (he was a Turner prize winning fine artist at the time). It does have a central long conversation scene (like say Land and Freedom or something like that) and a scene or two where the artist’s eye rather than filmmaker’s is in play (staring unflinchingly at a scene and holding it at length without cuts) which don’t make it easy evening viewing. Also the violence is pretty intense.

McQueen demonstrates that English people can have complex, nuanced, interesting takes on Irish politics and history. And many do, just not Martin McDonagh. Or his brother come to think of it.

8 Likes

I’ll have to check it out then… I thought adaptation of 12 Years a slave was fantastic. Just a gut punch of a film that was beautifully shot.

I wonder if it helps that McQueen is Black? I’d suspect that Black Brits have a more complicated relationship with the British Empire than a son of Irish immigrants who did well in London… None the less, I got a copy of Banshees, so will tell you what I think in the films thread after I get around to watching it.

9 Likes

I think McDonagh’s problem isn’t being English at all, that’s no barrier to a nuanced view of history! It’s his being fundamentally conservative in outlook. His perspective is quite in line with Fine Gael (ruling Toryboy wankers here). McQueen is simply a geezer.

Lovers Rock is, I don’t know, Ulysses for the 21st century. Transcendently specific and universal.

6 Likes

Makes sense from that perspective…

I should check that out!

8 Likes

Oh god no.

14 Likes

“A four-star Air Force general sent a memo on Friday to the officers he commands that predicts the U.S. will be at war with China in two years and tells them to get ready to prep by firing “a clip” at a target, and “aim for the head.”“

Someone is asking to be reassigned to latrine duty at McMurdo Station.

15 Likes

Is this guy channelling Curtis E. LeMay or something?

11 Likes

Yep… this is about to spiral out of control. It’s gonna be a bloodbath, mostly for the Palestinians. They’re fucked and the West Bank is a as good as annexed.

13 Likes

“The US will be at war with China in four years, and it will be fought in such a way that we will win through officers making headshots.” :confused:

14 Likes

All those defense contractor simulations to sell fighter jets and other weaponry have become reality for this gentleman.

9 Likes

Ah - he’s planning for his post retirement job.

7 Likes

… to suppress mutinies maybe

That is part of their job AIUI :grimacing:

6 Likes
10 Likes

They’re developing their talking points.

12 Likes