Drums of War

They were denying it when the news first came out. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

No worries. Someone will deny the denial any day now, and someone else will deny that.

“Do you mean the first thing, or the second thing?”
“The thing with the guy in the place.”
"Wasn’t that before the second thing, but in the other place?

1 Like

This.

8 Likes

6 Likes

They’re combined bills, but ultimately the technicalities of which bills are joined or separated are trivial. It’s all from the same source; it all demonstrates the priorities of the empire.

12 Likes

although the criticism is well-intended and probably deserved i would like to ask alan r. macleod or you @Wanderfound exactly what either of you think the democratic party should have done under the circumstances since they were trying to negotiate a deal with the republican party which has repeatedly demonstrated that their inclination is to just let people starve and die. if there weren’t a run-off election in georgia for two senate seats they would have refused to do anything to help anyone.

even with the republicans trying to seem like they might almost care about the average u.s. citizen they still wouldn’t be budged to make a clean deal, they had to have something in return for helping people. so what would you have preferred? to give the murderous bastards at tyson and other companies complete and total indemnification and immunity for all the meatpackers they’ve straight up murdered with their monstrous practices? authorizing a tiny fraction of the bill for a futile effort to overthrow the venezualan government? “defense” spending that was going to happen anyway? because that military spending was going to happen no matter what.

it’s altogether too glib by far to say “this is why you’re only getting $600.” the other spending maccleod and you are pointing to has nothing to do with the amount that got approved in the package. the reason why the amount was $600 is really simple-- it’s because the republican party decided that was the smallest amount that they could agree to that would still, possibly, imply that the republican party does not consist of heartless monsters who really rather that the inconvenient people complaining about their inability to make ends meet during a pandemic die so they would stop complaining. if mitch macconnell and kevin mccarthy had calculated that they could have done it with $300 then that’s how much it would have been. if they had calculated they couldn’t do it for less than $1200 then that’s what it would have been.

those tweets you quote show off a dramatic misunderstanding of the process and the motives of what went into this outcome and bears only the most tenuous connection with reality.

5 Likes

How the fuck is the already deeply bloated pentagon budget not enough?

peep-show-hans-bullshit

To be fair, things that are coming out seem like they don’t belong in the overall bill, as they are not at all related to the suffering people are facing in this pandemic.

But I think saying that democrats were up against the wall, because they give a shit, is fair enough.

To fix this, they need to control both houses, and they need to be committed to actual reform. That’s a tougher sell, as both sides wish to show how they are bringing the goods home for their districts/states, which is the heart of much pork in any random bill.

5 Likes

Not to be the bearer of bad news but Joe pushed for $600:

4 Likes

not really news. i knew he was doing that because he was trying to get some immediate relief and hoping for a win in georgia to get something more comprehensive in the next session.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/adamnlawyer/status/1341577554382249997?s=21

12 Likes

Let me be the first to ask President Biden to extradite those responsible to Iraq. If they won’t face justice in the U.S. let them face justice where it will be served.

8 Likes

Or the war crimes tribunal in the Hague.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Good one.

US punishes International Criminal Court for investigating potential war crimes in Afghanistan

Doesn’t just cover recent events, but the US’s, shall we say ambivalent, stance on the ICC since day one. Spoiler alert: it’s bipartisan.

5 Likes

Given that this is the Democratic Party who invited Colin Powell [1] to speak at the DNC, I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

[1] Who first rose to prominence when he organised the coverup of the My Lai massacre.

4 Likes

That was kind of the joke. Grim humour mind.

2 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-here-we-go

8 Likes
5 Likes

If the goal of the Trump administration is to foment full on war in the middle east, they might be succeeding here.

8 Likes

15 Likes