Drunk driver in Oregon breaks US record for blowing .778

5 Likes

How are they even alive?

9 Likes

Sometimes people build up amazing tolerances.

Also, cops have incentive to always make their breathalyzers read very high.

Makes it easier to manufacture as reason to arrest people. Then they can do an accurate blood analysis back at the station. Once they’re arrested cops don’t need their consent for the blood draw and analysis.

Judges and prosecutors don’t care at all whether an arrest was legal or not. That’s not the point of the justice system.

7 Likes

There are also circumstances that can amplify the reading. This could have been a simply high reading of .250 that had multiple factors cranking it up to that .778 level. It would be interesting to see what it really once they draw blood. It’s unlikely to be above .300 with someone who is conscious.

3 Likes

Had a cousin have blood taken at ~3.6 recently. Just before Rehab.

1 Like

I’ve heard of legit BACs as high as ~.500, but that’s usually from blood taken from someone in the emergency department receiving Medical attention for acute alcohol poisoning.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not belueving that without documentation, chief.

2 Likes

LD50 is supposedly .40%.

“A BAC reading of 0.08% is legally drunk driving in the United States. Unless a person has developed a very high tolerance for alcohol, a BAC rating of 0.20% represents very serious intoxication. In general most first-time drinkers are unconscious by about 0.15%. A range of 0.35% to 0.40% usually represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. 0.40% is the accepted lethal dose for about 50% of adult humans. However, in rare cases a very heavy long time drinker may be able to more than double that number.”

In that state it’s not impossible he moved a decimal point. Could he have tested 0.36, i.e. very, very, near-fatal drunk?

3 Likes

Well. His mom was the one who tossed that number around. She says a lot of insane stuff, so sure. Grain of salt.

It might be possible to find in the court records though. He’s been going down the path for a while, and (allegedly) the 3.6 was the second time measured over 3.0 in a week.

1 Like

That’s an embalmed corpse level of BAC. I extremely doubt it’s 3.0. It’s about infinity times more likely to have been 0.3

5 Likes

oh yeah, sorry. Significant digits. You are totally right.

0.360. I don’t talk often about BAC.

8 Likes

According to the TMZ Smoking Gun article, that was from a blood draw.

1 Like

WE’RE NUMBER ONE :partying_face:

2 Likes

Obligs:

(Yes, I have a gif for pretty much everything.)

5 Likes

A BAC of 3.6 would mean your blood is lite beer!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.