Dubai tortures and imprisons man for 25 years for having non-psychoactive CBD oil

When the oil and gas run out and the primary economic engine of the UAE collapses do you really think there will be as many people in the country who can afford those luxury services, or as many people flying in and out of the region, or a market to sell all those containers full of goods to?

10 Likes

Guys I once woke up in a hotel (El Buho) in Ecuador with about an 8th of weed on me. Knowing I needed to get on a short-hop plane later that morning I decided I needed to smoke as much of it as possible so I didn’t have to bring it through airport security. When the airport shuttle arrived I failed to understand the social signals and climbed over the van of business commuters heading to Quito for the day to grab an empty seat. My point is, I may single-handedly be the reason people hate high westerners and I’m sorry.

11 Likes

I’m always surprised when I read stories about (white, middle-class, usually European) women visiting (and running into trouble) in Dubai (I guess I assume they would know better), but yeah, those stories are greatly outnumbered by those of white cis het dudes. The idea of their rights being in question is, indeed, alien to them.

5 Likes

And American Jan 6th rioters are getting week(s) / month(s) detention.

5 Likes

Not always.

A friend had to remind some Aussie women in Isfahan that it probably isn’t a good idea to be smoking a joint in public.

And there was my mother (who worked in Abu Dhabi educational administration for 8 years) and forgot that gas station attendants cleaned the entire car while filling up the the tank. She watched on nervously having a few bottles of wine in her trunk when the law only allowed one per person.

Fortunately for her I’m assuming the attendants were either Indian, Pakistani, Afghani, or Philippene as is usually the case and didn’t feel as strongly about these things as the local lads.

But yeah, generally speaking it’s the privileged and the ignorant finding themselves in these situations although I still feel for them.

3 Likes

I lead a fairly straight edge life - but being on pain killers, I don’t think I’d ever risk visiting Dubai.

2 Likes

Yes, because it has exploited its geographical location as an airline and container port hub rather than as a final destination. People and freight transit through Dubai rather than stay there. Emirates is one of the world’s largest airlines and has built its fortune on travel from Asia and Australia to Europe; whilst DP World is one of the world’s largest container operations and the port at Jebel Ali is the ninth largest container port in the world. Dubai also sits neatly between the European and Asian financial markets so it makes sense for banks and other financial organisations to be located there given the political instability elsewhere in the Middle East.

So sadly, Dubai is here to stay.

2 Likes

Color me skeptical that the UAE will remain politically stable once they lose the industry that makes up 85% of their GDP.

3 Likes

Wow, modern gong farmers, wonder if they use it grow veggies for the city like in the old days?

The article says that the trucks go to a sewage works, so the answer appears to be no.

Yeah, I’m suspicious/interested in the claim that the authorities targeted him based on somehow filtering WhatsApp conversations for “cdb”.

Thats either false or there’s significant bits left out.

Anyone see more coverage of this?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.