Dumbest Line From A Song?

How about?

“he just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich”

Down Under by Men at Work

1 Like

I said, do you speak-a my language?

Admittedly, I’m not an Australian, but, in context, that doesn’t seem like a bad line for a song celebrating Australia and Australians.

10 Likes

TIL. All these decades, my mind rendered that as “he just smiled and gave me a bit of my sandwich”. Huh.

5 Likes

“As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti”
It doesn’t even roll off the tongue. Just plain clunky.

2 Likes

“It made the rain that came seem strange, just like a strange rain” Elton John

I actually like this song but I always thought that lyric sounded like when a little kid is trying to tell a story…

2 Likes

Too slow!

4 Likes

You reminded me of another Elton John oddity…

“I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues” by Elton John. The line makes no sense, because neither do his examples throughout the song, as famously pointed out by Tommy Davidson (set at 2:35):

7 Likes

Neither was “Sad Songs Say So Much” a sad song. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

If we are going for examples that don’t match, there is nearly the entire song Ironic by Alanis Morissete. To the point where I think the lyric to criticize is actually just the word “ironic”, it would be fine with some other title.

8 Likes

But what if the title is… ironic.

13 Likes

Also the subject of a stand-up routine

(Edit, playing the clip some of the jokes at the start are… ooof before he gets into the actually funny bit about the song)

1 Like

Also, rhyming “language” with “sandwich” is good, I think!

6 Likes

What are we liking these post now? The instructions were explicit!

5 Likes

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

We’re a raucous bunch who do not like being told what to do…

Dont Tell Me What To Do Saturday Night Live GIF

10 Likes

I’ve only liked posts that don’t contain lyrics, but I’m probably doing that wrong too /shrug

9 Likes

“Have a baby by me, be a millionaire…”

~50 Cent’s dumb ass

2 Likes

We’re fighting our conditioning, but we’ve been brainwashed for decades.

6 Likes

Re “in the desert” line: That’s not the first time that grammar had to make way for the lyric’s metering. America’s was especially egregious.

2 Likes

Push the little daisies and make them come up.

Push the Little Daisies by Ween

4 Likes

The most irritating thing about that song is that it would have been so easy to come up with lyrics that are actually ironic. See:

It’s like rain on your wedding day, even though your fiancee told you that it never rains in May, and he should know because he’s the top-rated meteorologist in the greater Seattle area, on every night at six on Channel 6. And isn’t it ironic?

It’s like meeting the man of your dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife, who happens to be your evil twin you thought had died in that tragic mining accident… though you know too well that it was no accident. And isn’t it ironic?

And as the plane went down, he thought, “Well, at least I don’t have to endure the dreaded airline food. Am I right? Hey-yo!” And isn’t it ironic?

1 Like