Dune (2021) **HERE BE SPOILERS**

Ahhh that would make sense and fits with the Harkonnen’s depravity. It was a little bit Lynchian for the brief moment it’s on screen and then scuttles off. :grimacing:

Now that i know what to search for…

2 Likes

Plus if Denis wants to do Messiah later on, planting some Tleilaxu seeds now is a smart move.

3 Likes

I also caught this last night. Denis breaks down his gom jabbar scene. Its a nice insight into his way of filming (and how much of a fellow nerd he truly is)

3 Likes

Yes! But there are the wrong number of them versus the number the Atreides say. They say three and there are I think five there. But their helmets are filled with gas the colour of melange. Their mutation is not as extreme as in the Lynch version.

Don’t know who the Mandalorian/black power ranger types on our left were though.

5 Likes

In the original book weren’t the only guild members that show up negotiators or something like that? They had contacts on to cover up the fact that they were addicted to spice and that Paul/Muad’Dib had them by the balls? It’s hard to cover up your addiction if you are literally wearing a hookah for a hat.

6 Likes

It is an age since I read the actual book but this is the ceremonial handover on Caladan early in the film and the herald says “representatives of the imperial court, spacing guild and a Bene Geserit”. Or something like that. It’s a different scene than Lynch had them in where they were calling the shots on the emperor. In this version the emperor is the dominant force nipping what he thinks is his proximate threat in the bud.

3 Likes

This is especially true when considering the Dune Encyclopedia showing their multi-thousand year trek and in some cases being enslaved by both free humans and machines during the Butlerian Jihad. So despite how mean they can come off, they’re that way because everyone has screwed them over.

3 Likes

9 Likes

geena davis 80s movies GIF by absurdnoise

5 Likes

Spicy meringue?

5 Likes

I’ll take it. No need to wrap it up, I’ll wear it home.

5 Likes

Much more attention to detail here than star trek has been paying the Vulcans in STD.

3 Likes

In the books (it’s been a long time…) I thought that there were multiple levels of navigators and the highest level of them were more worm-like (Like in Lynch’s movie). I took the white suit guys as being some of the lower level navigators or members of the space guild. But as I said… it’s been a damn long time since I read the books.

3 Likes

But what of the lack of Mentats?!?! That left me disappointed.

Piter de Vries… they did you dirty man!

PiterDeVries-Brad_Dourif

But alas Brad Dourif is a tough act to follow. Just this underlying psychotic characteristic he has played in multiple roles, Crewman Lon Suder, I’m looking at you…

2 Likes

Disagree entirely, but that’s a different topic.

1 Like

To the wiki!

So yes, we haven’t seen the actual pilots(?) I suppose you’d call them. If Baron’s “pet” is anything to go by and they decide to put them on screen i’d like to see something equally weird and Giger-esque. There is a fair bit of Giger aesthetic in this film to be fair, particularly at House Harkonnen. Of course Villeneuve would be influenced by the Jodorowsky concept art.

4 Likes

What makes you think that? :wink:

jlay5p4fz3k71

I wouldn’t be surprised if Denis had stabby blades somewhere in that dome.

5 Likes

From the same writer who wrote that excellent article over on tor

A massively budgeted film failing to be daring in engaging with the Islamic influences as the source shouldn’t be surprising to anyone but it’s still disappointing.

Herbert was unafraid to explore the rich sands of Islamic and MENA histories, even if he made missteps. He put in the work. But the film usurps the ideas that shaped the novel. Seeking to save Muslim and MENA peoples from taking offense, Villeneuve — as Paul does to the Fremen — colonizes and appropriates their experiences. He becomes the White savior of “Dune.” Where Herbert danced unconventionally, the filmmakers avoid the desert entirely.

4 Likes

While I did notice it and agree with the article my hope is that Denis will crank it up in part 2. He made part 1 be so much of just Paul and Jessica’s story that the white savior trope could only arise. Once we dive deeper into the Fremen side of things hopefully the arabic leanings will be more apparent.

4 Likes

Just watched it.

In the Lynch version the call them Har-kOH-nnen, vs HARkonnen.

1 Like