Dupes gather at sold-out Flat Earth International Conference

I was going to say “Because the plane as it takes off has the same speed of the earth it is taking off from.” but that’s not totally clear.

This explains it well with an analogy of three moving walkways.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/physics/134-physics/general-physics/mechanics/829-why-can-t-a-plane-fly-slowly-and-let-the-earth-pass-underneath-beginner

Unless you believe that a person on a rotating sphere should find the earth spinning at amazing speed below them when they jump, it makes perfect sense.

12 Likes

OK

But before I take the time to write a lengthy science based explaination for why it is so, I want you to answer some questions:

What would have to be proved in order to falsify the flat-earth theory?
Are all the planets in our solar system flat?
Is the Sun flat?

Also I am interested in your thoughts about why and who would orchestrate this cover up, I mean what would be the purpose of the deception?

Also welcome to BoingBoing BBS

16 Likes

Just because you’ve left the ground doesn’t mean you’ve left the Earth. It’s the same reason why if you throw a ball up in the air in a moving car, the ball doesn’t go rocketing backward - the ball is moving forward at the same rate as the car. A flying plane is the same - and again, if you throw a ball from the front of the car to the back of the car, it doesn’t take the ball longer to travel to the front, ‘against’ the forward momentum of the car. Because the ball is doing its back and forth movement in addition to the forward movement of the car.

17 Likes

please tell me this is a typo; plate tectonics is actually a thing. Anyone living on the Ring of Fire intimately knows it to be true. Not to mention a bunch of people on the Iran/Iraq border today. Or yesterday - damn time zones.

3 Likes

That confused me, too.

I THINK it means people who believe in a flat earth are trying to explain how plate tectonics works on it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was saying that they do believe in plate tectonics (which makes no sense since they don’t believe the Earth is round or has a molten core) but don’t believe in gravity.

8 Likes

Stand on a beach, watch a ship with a mast sailing directly away from you.

How does the ship leave your view?

4 Likes

Without looking it up, I don’t know. I do know it’s an extremely weak effect however from when I did know more about it.

Also, I’m not sure why you’re asking that before you click on the link. I answered the first time because you asked for an explanation of something.

Why not ask me after clicking the link and explaining what your new question has to do with it so maybe I can answer better?

6 Likes

So how do they explain the different time zones if the Earth is flat? Have they ever travelled between distant time zones? Jet lag is a royal pain; I am experiencing it right now after going yesterday across seven time zones.

3 Likes

A lot of the time they’ll counter that one by misunderstanding how ‘looming’ works. They’ll argue that because you can see a distant landmark that should be hidden by the curvature of the Earth, that the Earth must be flat. (And sometimes, because of looming, you can still see a distant ship, so they’ll argue that the ‘sinking mast’ example is a lie.)

4 Likes

Incidentally, while I never doubted the earth was a sphere based on reading and photographs growing up, I was happy to have it proved to me while sailing a good deal around the earth.

Unless the Canadian Military’s navigators are sent to a special school where they are sworn to keep the flat earth a secret and lie to the entire ship’s company, their navigation based on a spherical earth worked extremely well, especially noticeable when a flat map would make you think a straight line on the map would be quickest, but that’s not the case. And this isn’t simply a matter of following what the electronics say, they can, and do work it out with maps on paper and the stars.

9 Likes

Sell Crazy Someplace Else - As Good As It Gets, Jack Nicholson

19 Likes

Mythbusters already covered this. Spoiler alert: the backwards moving conveyor belt made no difference in the plane’s ability to take off because thrust and lift are forces against the air, not the ground.

10 Likes

24 Likes

I saw some one argue that the ISS feed was fake because you don’t see any satellites whizzing by. They truly are clueless.

11 Likes

I have no idea what you just said.

9 Likes

Wise reply :wink:

6 Likes

This much is obvious.

29 Likes

princess-tutu-embarrassed-go-on

14 Likes

120,000 feet is still inside the atmosphere. The atmosphere is still the Earth. By your logic, in a moving car, you should be getting blasted by the AC because your face is speeding into the air from it at 60mph. But again, the air is moving along with the car, so that the car’s movement doesn’t affect how fast the air from the AC hits you. Since the atmosphere is part of Earth, it moves with the Earth.

11 Likes