Dupes gather at sold-out Flat Earth International Conference

Seems like the airline could have saved a lot of money if they’d gone in a straight line.

2 Likes

I’ll take the bait.
If you walk along the aisle of your said plane to the toilet, do you get smashed at the back wall, as the plane is moving forward with a couple hundred km / h?
Go figure ‘closed system’ and relative speed.

7 Likes

At this point, we should change the name of the thread to “Dupes gather at thread to debate a Flat-Earth advocate.”

7 Likes

The Earth doesn’t exist. They’ve been gaslighting you.

15 Likes

Coxeter, on page 45, also mentions the screw-displacement symmetry which generates a helical polygon. As it explains both DNA and a displaced screw, I’m going for that one.

2 Likes

6 Likes

When I was looking around one of their forums, the consensus seemed to be that gravity was due to the earth “falling up” at an infinitely increasing velocity of 9.8 m/s. Because of course it is.

5 Likes

more…importantly…can…you…explain…

12 Likes

Driven by a methane rocket. The methane comes from the elephants, of course,

3 Likes

Billions.

As Mister44 points out, it’s difficult to achieve a stable orbit with most objects thrown out of orbit around Earth or stuck in a decaying orbit / impacting / burning up in the atmosphere. However, you’re overlooking one very big captured natural satellite most of us just call “the Moon.” Setting aside the existence of the Moon (which, if you don’t believe in gravity and think Earth is only thousands of years old, perhaps you don’t believe in the Moon, either), 2016 HO3 is an example of an asteroid orbiting the Earth.

2006 RH120 orbits the Sun most of the time as a co-orbital of Earth, but every 20 years, it comes close to the Earth and it loops around Earth temporarily, as it did from September 2006 to June 2007.

3753 Cruithne, 2001 GO2, 2002 AA29, 2003 YN107, 2006 JY26, 2009 SH2, 2010 SO16, 2010 TK7, 2012 FC71, and 2013 BS45 are co-orbitals or close to it. TK7 is an Earth Trojan (it circles the sun in a path ahead of the Earth, orbiting the Earth-Sun L4 Lagrange point).

Note that you can download planetarium software like Stellarium for free that models planetary orbits, import asteroids, plot their paths, and translate that into points in the sky where you can point your telescope and for the brighter ones, see them follow their predicted orbits. Stellarium is open source, so you can review the code calculating the orbital dynamics for yourself. These orbits (not to mention those of all the planets and their moons) are observable and don’t make sense without gravity but make perfect sense with it.

15 Likes

Fun fact, my old avi image was an unfolded perspective projection of a penteract. But because the avi looks so small next to the username, most people just thought it was a weird looking jewel.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Some people say that there are no planets above us. Some say that the planets are in fact another class of stars floating in the waters above us.

1 Like

Some people say whatever comes out of their mouths. Not that they make any sense.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It is funny because they bought these superzoom cameras and took pictures and shoot videos of Mars and Venus etc. They said they couldn´t see any round shapes. They claim that every telescope sold in the world are just made to deceive us.

3 Likes

Phase one - Spread the false shape of Earth.

Phase two -…

Phase Three - Profit!

7 Likes

I look forward to seeing the flat earth version. We need some laughter in the world today.

7 Likes

This really should be part of the acid test: try to model observable physics and phenomena as simply as possible for both round and flat Earths.

When everything falls out cleanly for the round Earth, given only known and easily provable rules, and nothing works for a flat Earth no matter how complex and ad-hoc it becomes, surely it will be hard to still subscribe to it.

Well, you’d think so, anyway.

5 Likes

the Coriolis effect as the same “source” as the ‘centrifugal effect’: inertia. Objects want to keep moving in a straight direction and they will push you if you push them to do otherwise.

2 Likes

I don’t. It’s simpler that way.

I have faith, as a devout Pastafarian (Lasagne sect), that his noodly greatness can be experienced in flat form.

Just compare:

and:

(the minor non-flatness of the latter depiction can be attributed to shrinkage as it cools, an easily observable phenomena in lasagna geology. It’s all in how you slice it.)

PS In reporting on the convention, news headline-writers apparently live for finding ways to include variants of the phrase “convention-goers coming from around the world.

13 Likes