Duracell wins battle of the alkalines, but cheap brands do well

maybe they’re the seconds. The not so so dura-cells?

2 Likes

Because it’s ridiculous to put an expensive rechargable (relatively speaking) in a remote control unit where it won’t need a charge for two years?

I heartily agree though, that it is well beyond time to rethink our standard-use batteries. It irritates the hell out of me to have devices that need 4 or 6 AA or AAA batteries, when they should then be using a single 9v.

Lithium primary batteries that come in AA and AAA sizes are (close to) 1.5V, not 3V. http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf.

There are AA, and AAA, 1.5V lithium batteries. I am obviously talking about those. They are completely compatible with equipment that uses AA and AAA batteries. While you might not find them in some remote convenience shop (though they are common) you can just buy an alkaline battery if you find yourself in that situation.

9v batteries are a distinctly mixed blessing; arguably tipping toward ‘curse’ now that high efficiency DC-DC converters have become accessibly cheap. They make driving things that require higher voltages downright trivial; but they reach that voltage by being 6 cells wired in series; each one slightly smaller than a AAAA in order to fit into the shell.

Such teeny batteries have poor capacity and very poor ability to deliver under load. They might still carry the day if you have need of comparatively high voltage at very low draw, since DC-DC conversion isn’t free or lossless; but a 9V flogs to death substantially faster than 6x AAA or AA.

3 Likes

Yup. But as noted above, that lower voltage is at the cost of energy density and (as you obliquely note) rechargability.

Ever stopped to wonder where those toxic heavy metals came from in the first place?

From places where they’d been for millennia, not spread around all over and leeching all over the place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.