Dutch panic over infiltration of an apostate Scientology-alike into education and government

Harry Palmer, you say? I wonder where he got the idea?

2 Likes

Yeah, as far as it goes, the exercise is quite good. Not at all original to Hairy Palms, but in itself it doesn’t put Avatar in a bad light at all.

1 Like

And you know what causes Hairy Palms, don’t you?

Seriously, this guy must be the world’s earliest version of an internet troll or a prank call.

Tell him to say hello to his sister, Rosy.

(I always enjoyed Moe’s cursing combined with his obliviousness …)

1 Like

Doggone it!

1 Like

Sadly I’m afraid not likely the last…

1 Like

This guy would have been green with envy, if the locals hadn’t caught on to his act and shot him to death while he was being held in jail.

I have to disagree with this. I went to an Avatar introduction course and they never hassled me afterwards. In fact I went back and redid the free intro course I found it so good and again they did not hassle me. Yes they do a “train the trainer” and allow you to onsell the course but I guess your friend was an overt salesman. Doesn’t mean it’s a full reflection on the course materials and how other trainers approach how they onsell the course.

The free intro courses from MLM cults tend to be harmless and offer generic self-help advice that inspires confidence in the desperate and the lost. In addition to the intro being the first step in a long con game, the ropers also use it to assess the mark to determine if he has long-term potential to be manipulated and milked.

They’re very good at this, knowing (for example) that potential suckers who give indications that they’re mentally ill or delusional – while perhaps desperate for help – are not necessarily weak-willed or docile. A well-trained roper wants to avoid a mark who might be more trouble than he’s worth, so he’s going to turn such a person away unless he’s very wealthy and can be drained rapidly before he becomes a problem.

12 Likes

Gullible soul, aintcha? Ya know, I have a whole LOT of things I’d like to sell you, starting with a bridge.

2 Likes

This is just a poor rip-off of Spaceology.

Why, thank you for going through the trouble of creating an user account with boing boing just to inform us of this.

I was struck by the value of the exercise as well.

But it’s also perfect to sell through a pyramid scheme. You can charge people boatloads of money to take your course where you teach them things that you took from people who actually want to help other people (e.g. psychologists and Buddhists). Your students see real results because they are doing exercises that are proven to work, so they are motivated to try to get others on board. Money, money, money.

2 Likes

It’s no co-incidence that the Cult of $cientology goes to a lot of effort to vilify psychiatry.

1 Like

Steampunk Scientology.

He probably would have been fine if they weren’t counterfeiting and scamming the neighbors with their funny money. (Which, to be fair, was a fairly common second revenue stream for anyone with a printing press west of the Appalachians in the 1830s and 1840s. So much bad paper. So much bad faith between communities.)

Virtual currency, though? I’m surprised none of the “emerging faith movements” haven’t set up their own.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.