Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson accounts for 1/3 of Asian and Pacific Islander lead roles in top-grossing films

I could do with moar Momoa, honestly!
:heart_eyes:

9 Likes

I guess the thousands of Clone Troopers don’t count because they never took their helmets off in the movies (though they do in the animated series.) But they are supposed to be clones of Temuera Morrison.

10 Likes

This. And even if you discount this because “cgi”, he appeared again in the prequel to this part in a most non-cgi capacity just over year later.

3 Likes

A quarter of those characters were violently killed off before the end of the film

So that number is going to significantly change when Fast 9 somehow resurrects Sung Kang’s character Han. We have seen Han supposedly die in three F&F movies from three different angles. So even 3 films being ret-conned is probably going to change that percentage. Which is so incredibly stupid and depressing.

2 Likes

And now I’m suddenly wonder if the complaints I occasionally see about representation in anime are actually trolls trying to delegitimize this issue.

Well, disney/pixar… Probably not fair to compare a genre of movies to racial representation in an unrelated genre. That’d kinda be like saying “there were more comedies released than API main characters in top grossing films”. Doesn’t really say much.

As a completely immature adult with a child, we watch a fair amount of animated movies. Barring actual anime, there seems to be better multicultural representation in a lot of animated movies than in live action movies. (exceptions made for movies restricted to fictional but fairly localized geographies (yeah, the people in Moana were all supposed to be Pacific Islanders, and the folks in Raya and the Last Dragon, all Southeast Asian, and the folks in Frozen - Scandanavians…). But in movies like Big Hero 6 seem more reflective of non-rural areas (I think like 4 out of 5 of the main characters were POC). This was completely unheard of when I was little. Change comes, but slowly.

3 Likes

Can I give a shout out to Frankie Adams, who plays the wonderful Bobbie Draper in the Expanse series? She’s Samoan by way of New Zealand, and kicks severe butt.

5 Likes

Yes, she does! She and Ruth Negga (of Preacher fame) are two of my current favorite actors, in fact.

1 Like

Their list only has him as the lead once. Ditto Reaves. I assume the people who cast the likes of Jason Scott Lee and Kelly Hu wished their films had grossed higher.

I am curious how they created their list. I guess I can understand leaving out part-Maori Russell Crowe.

Yes, but Lucy Liu counts as both in Kung Fu Panda.
(Of course, the top 4 billed actors are all White, but at least Jackie Chan and her are major characters.)

1 Like
1 Like

Temura Morrison may have moved a lot of action figures but he wasn’t exactly what I’d call a “leading role” in the Star Wars movies and his CGI doppelgängers even less so.

2 Likes

Honestly Jackie Chan’s presence in Kung Fu Panda kind of bummed me out.

The guy is one of the greatest martial arts performers who ever lived and a fantastic action/comic actor, but there’s no way he’d be cast as an English-language cartoon voice actor in a million years if people didn’t know his name from his other work. It was a cameo that didn’t even let him show off any of his actual talents because we never got to see him. Worse, putting him in an English language movie with a cast comprised of other actors who were all native English speakers just drew attention to how much he sounded out of place.

I know it’s too late to put the “let’s cast Hollywood A-listers for our animated film instead of people who actually specialize in voice acting because that will sell more tickets” genie* back in the bottle but Dreamworks has leaned on that strategy especially hard.

*voiced by Robin Williams

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.