Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death

I don’t hate him, but I don’t have any compassion for him either.

One could argue executions by drone are extrajudicial death sentences.

11 Likes

My feelings on this news fall somewhere between ‘Fuck capital execution’ and ‘Fuck Dylan Roof’.

Denying him his sense of martyrdom seems to be the only outcome that satisfies both of these statements.

12 Likes

I’m not interested in punitive measures at all. What I’m interested in is what provides the best result for the community he terrorized. I don’t really know what that is, though.

But I don’t think the death penalty stops any of these atrocities from happening.

9 Likes

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/10/dylann-roof-sentenced-to-death.html

3 Likes

Appropriate sentence. I concur with this jury’s decision.

1 Like

Everyone has to die. Most people don’t have to spend decades in prison contemplating how they threw away their lives by committing a monstrous act of senseless violence.

He’s getting exactly what he wanted. It’s too good for him and it diminishes us.

16 Likes

Give him the same treatment that other asshole in Norway got.

4 Likes

Jurors deliberated less than three hours before deciding he had to die.

I assume they had a 2 1/2 hour lunch, and then took a vote.

2 Likes

A more appropriate sentence would be to spend his life in a little hut on a platform in a hog waste lagoon.

5 Likes

Harsh, but just.

4 Likes

I’ve posted this link on BB before. The occasion is right, so I’m posting it again.

This episode of The Memory Palace is a masterpiece; the calm, occasionally almost whimsical delivery accentuating the cold, righteous fury of the message. Listen. Witness:

1 Like

Existing thread pre-dating this one:

1 Like

Ah but this is the official one.

Which may, upon consideration, be exactly what you meant. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s for sure. He’s 22; another 60 years in prison would be more just – provided he’s not allowed to spread his pathological hatred. How that could be done is another problem.

5 Likes

@beschizza Is there a way to bring two threads on the same subject together? This one got started a bit before yours: another Dylan Roof thread.

Yeah, lock this one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s true: the conversation over there is more developed.

(We must have been typing at the same time about the other thread. I wouldn’t have said anything if I’d seen yours already.)

Does anyone want to normalize these numbers by population? I haven’t the intestinal fortitude.

Got it, but I did it the other direction as the “official” thread was late.

I guess in these cases I should delete merge requests, as they look weird after merges?

6 Likes

Yeah but this one won’t time out after 5 days.

3 Likes