Dynasties: in-depth reporting on the wealthy, influential political and corporate families that not-so-secretly rule Canada

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/team-stronach-for-austria.html

3 Likes

I really wish the 3 volumes of The Canadian Establishment by Peter C Newman were available in ebook format, (only the first is, and it’s very ancient, as opposed to mostly ancient)

4 Likes

delves into the scandals, backroom deals, and secret string-pulling employed by the “great families” of Canada, where wealth and political power have been gathered into just a few hands, all clinging tight to that power.

I’m convinced that this impulse is what got Trump elected over a manifestly more qualified Clinton: The disgust (subliminal or overt) of a certain type of person with dynastic inheritance of power.

I’m confused. What power did Clinton inherit? I agree that there was a disgust of powerful women involved, but the only one who seemed to inherit something between the two was Trump, and what he got was money:

Bill and Hill together in the radically conservative uneducated fevered mind of the average Trump voter. I didn’t say that it was valid, just that it existed. This was helped by the right painting her as part of “The Clinton Machine,” though no such machine existed, and “entitled” and the election as a “coronation.”

Surely you saw those things.

1 Like

TBH, I blocked a lot of it, but I’d seen enough to be stunned at the techniques that were used. At this point, it seems like there’s so much conservative propaganda flooding every type of media outlet that many voters probably need to be deprogrammed.

1 Like

I agree, and thanks for your honesty. The entire culture, such as it is, needs to be deprogrammed, starting with the destruction of Fox News. They are the trigger for so much hate and distortion of belief.

1 Like

If only we could keep the stations and set up a broadcast like the one at the end of “They Live.”

1 Like

If only they could be exposed for the aliens that they are:

1 Like

Will the Irvings let the one on them reach Atlantic Canada?

(Any Canadian dynasty/powerbroker expose that doesn’t cover the Irvings isn’t even trying).

1 Like

I’m sure they will. Canada Land (the parent podcast of this one) did a great episode on the Irvings a while back. I think it was this one.

1 Like

For multiple generations, now, they’ve run and owned New Brunswick, and may other parts of the maritimes.

When I was taking Media and Communications •mumblety• years ago, they were the poster-child for media monopolies and how they affect the news people get. The internet and social media have changed that somewhat, but they are still people you don’t want to cross if you live out that way. They have their fingers in everything in a way the Stronachs can only dream of.

1 Like

These Irvings, if anyone needs a reminder:

3 Likes

What about the Mimico Newsomes?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.