Early Mac software comes to the Internet Archive

You n00b!

1 Like

It’s difficult! :cry: You’re controlling the velocity!

Every time I play Dark Castle I have no freaking idea how I was ever able to get anywhere in it. It’s controls are so bad it’s practically unplayable to me. I see speed runs of this game and am just left in awe.

2 Likes

240p, yuck.
Try this one

The thing about the mac is that it had a distinct visual style that relied on its cripsness – because sometimes that’s all the mac designer had to work with. Compare something like this:

with the color version:

One has a certain elegance that the other lacks.

That’s something tha’st just not appreciated by people such as the creator of this video.

1 Like

The quality isn’t great but anybody that ever played DC can surely appreciate the amount of skill it takes to pull that off.

I remember being constantly amazed at how much beauty designers could pull off on the old B&W Macs with only 1 color and paltry 512x342 resolution to work with.

Shadowgate is another amazing example.

3 Likes

No, I get how ridiculous that sounds. But it’s not like most people had access then, or have access now, to multiple desktop computers. If you bought your computer without consideration for gaming (i.e., if you bought a Mac), then you were happy with what you could find.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.