Earn 1 cent every 4.5 seconds for turning a crank

As long as you’re talking you’re not cranking… Do you really want this job? Because we can make “accommodations” if you don’t like cranking, but do like talking.

In fact, Jimmy here’s a real crank-master. Doesn’t say a peep or anything. Too bad Jimmy doesn’t have a job doing what he loves… But he’s an eager young man who just needs to learn the ropes.

Why don’t you show him how it’s done, then pack up your things?

3 Likes

Is that, “You got promoted and we don’t like paying you more so please train your minimum wage replacement.”?

3 Likes

Naw, we’re just gonna bump you up to 39¾ hours a week, just to make sure you get all the cranking done. We’ll call it a seasonal adjustment and keep you on part-time. If you don’t like it, just remember there’s six other part-timers here, and 2 full-timers, so we can’t give you the full 40 hours a week necessary to trigger benefits like insurance and lunch breaks. Because that’d mean one of our two full-timers would have to give up an hour or two and lose their insurance and lunch breaks. And I’m one of those full-timers, along with my assistant. So that’d be unfair, if I gave you a full-time shift.

No at crank-corp, we treat everyone fairly. Nobody gets enough.

4 Likes

Dude, this was supposed to be hypothetical. Bringing WalMart into it is dirty pool.

/s

3 Likes

Have you ever gotten a call from a recruiter offering 2/3rds the industry standard rate that you already get? I did this afternoon. I don’t often yell, but when I do, it’s telling a shitstain like that to call me an asshole to my face rather than insulting me like that.

2 Likes

Not to mention facilitation of the anal probing.

1 Like

If you get a left handed machine along with a right handed machine you can make, uh, lets see, uh 2Xminimum wage=managers salary?

BTW it is illegal to pay for anything with pennies in the US.

People who name their little girl baby “Penny” should have to wear a necklace of pennies around their necks until it rots.

Hard to do that in Canada now that we got rid of our pennies.

1 Like

If you’re a restaurant worker, you should also have mandatory tip outs to management and back staff.

2 Likes

What a silly idea. It isn’t “illegal”. Nobody has to accept them.

5 Likes

No, I’m pretty sure that I read it in a science fiction anthology published in the 1950s or '60s.

Ah, I see that you’ve played knifey-spoony before!

1 Like

Yes, a separate container with a pie graph showing corporate subsidies, military spending, etc.

1 Like

And generate electricity with a meter tracking it into a battery or local grid.

These aren’t the crank jokes I anticipated.

The piece is a brilliant work of art as well as an amazing contraption. I helped bring it to a gallery in Canada a while back and it was a fave in the show - strange thing though: almost no one took the pennies the “earned”. You have to crank at a set speed, too fast and you get nothing extra, and it gets harder. Too slow and it doesn’t count. At the time, Canada still had pennies 'officially" and finding $300+ worth of them to fill it was a chore. Cashing in the pennies after was even more fun - a hand truck and 5 gallon plastic pails made repeated trips to a nearby bank with a coin sorter. I am happy to see that it is getting shown again. I think it was an earlier Boing Boing post years ago that led us to hunt for it. Long may it be cranked, or at least until the minimum wage is a liveable wage across the USA and in Canada. /B

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.