Earth has tiny temporary second moon, after "capturing" asteroid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/26/earth-has-tiny-temporary-secon.html

3 Likes

It’s probably going to classified as a dwarf moon, thanks Neil deGrasse Tyson!

/S

5 Likes

That’s no moon…

16 Likes

FYI: It’s spelled “satellite”.

3 Likes

… it’s a Tesla!

14 Likes

Barely knew ya…

2 Likes

8 Likes

It’s right there in the article :slight_smile:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Our third moon. Cruithne is the second (current) moon.

2 Likes

Are they sure it isn’t a wandering Tesla?

1 Like

The orbit isn’t stable, so eventually 2020 CD3 will be flung away from Earth. “It is heading away from the Earth-moon system as we speak,” says Grigori Fedorets at Queen’s University Belfast in the UK, and it looks likely it will escape in April.

I wonder how much delta-vee we’d need to capture it permantly in a possibly useful orbit for future shenanigans. Y’know. For Science and stuff.

1 Like

of course an “acting” satellite would show during the trump administration.

4 Likes

Did the Enterprise feel “captured” when it entered orbit? No. That asteroid is claiming us. For I don’t know, the Belters maybe.

5 Likes

Aww fuck… it’s loaded with protomolecule, isn’t it? Let’s add that to the shitshow that is 2020 so far, why not! Underground god damn monsters…

6 Likes

I don’t think that is correct.

Cruithne does not orbit Earth and at times it is on the other side of the Sun, placing Cruithne well outside of Earth’s Hill sphere.

Aww, a cute mini-moon is orbiting Earth right now. But like all good things, it too will abandon us at some point

tenor

I’ll accept your answer on the basis that you tell everyone the party is over :wink:

How has nobody posted this yet?

3 Likes