Easy-to-clean minimalist kitchen scale, weighs up to 13 pounds

Mainly but not not quite completely true. UK has many people who know how metric works, sure. But these scales also do fluid ounces (which are not the same as weight ounces IIRC). Having set the scales up to do pounds and ounces (weight) and pints and fluid ounces (volume), it makes some sense to allow the conversion of fl.oz. to ml. and vice versa, via the display and units settings.

Like the UK?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity-Digital-Kitchen-Weighing-Stainless/dp/B07PTNZT75/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=kitchen+scale&qid=1589895778&sr=8-4
or France?

Or were you referring to another country?

1 Like

Key Question (for anyone who has this exact model)…
How long does it stay switched on?
We have a similar scale, and the most annoying thing is you turn it on, go get a bowl, start weighing out flour or whatever, and the battery-saver timer thing in it just times out and the screen goes blank. It’s literally 15 seconds of “weighing time” and the damn thing resets. Ugh! All of the other digi-scales we’ve tried in stores seem to have a similar problem (they run on CR2032 button cells, so have time-out features).

Is there a digital kitchen scale that will stay on for extended periods of time, to allow (for example) sequential addition of ingredients to a bowl?

Realistically, all scales are Chinese, and the obvious thinking is that it’s cheap and easy to allow switching of units, and then you don’t have to worry about localized stock.

The great majority of users will only use one units setting, and if it retains the setting then there are no drawbacks to having the option, except that oh wait, yes there are:

• you can press the button by accident, and if you were trying to measure a small amount of something in grams you could pour out too much before you realize.
  • you therefore have to care about the units, which exacerbates any difficulty in seeing the screen
  • more than one button means the buttons have to be well-positioned and visible, whereas if there’s only one it can just be on the side.
  • phony volume units are problematic in their own right (see above)

I DEFY the value of the units “feature” for conversions, because how often do you want to convert the weight after you’ve weighed something.

On a correct scale, the display would just show an integer, which is the weight in grams. The “on” button (on the side) also tares the scale, and to turn it off you either wait 10 minutes, or optionally long-press the button or tilt the scale more than 45° from horizontal (since scales are likely to be stored on their side when put away). Obviously the top is an overhanging seamless glass surface so you can rinse the whole thing under the tap.

I will also permit scales that simply have a button to turn them on and off (which you can tare by turning it off and on again), as it’s not for me to say how quickly anyone should finish weighing the thing they’re weighing.

Anyone who feels the need to make scales more complicated and expensive is to focus on building them into the back of iPad cases, or directly into kitchen surfaces, or things of that sort.

1 Like

No “weigh all the things!” pic?

2 Likes

00__X-All-The-Y__RAW_phixr_phixr

3 Likes

ezgif-1-774c889bf31e

2 Likes

The Salter one above has a time-out and very occasionally it is annoying, but weighing out ingredients is rarely an issue - adding something every few minutes keeps it ‘topped up’ time-wise. I’ve never timed its time-out, though. 5 minutes, maybe?

I expect you experience more pressure though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.