Easypoem writes excellent AI poetry for you

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/10/easypoem-writes-excellent-ai-p.html

As much as I love poetry about tardigrades and capybaras getting shit-faced together in a little house in space, this poem BOHICAed the Sally-Anne Test.

2 Likes

Can we get a Capybaras tag on this post?

3 Likes

Indeed!

3 Likes

Given that capybaras are the world’s largest rodents (2 ft at the shoulders!!!), I want to read a poem about their enormousness. That would be a delightful AI challenge.

2 Likes

I call shenanigans.

If this is artificial intelligence, then I’ve been doing cutting edge computer science research since I was a child. Although back then we called it “mad libs”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always loved mad libs, but given more recent advances in neural networks and so-called deep learning, I was expecting more from a site named “AI poem”. Calling that AI is stretching the boundaries of artistic license beyond credulity, even for a poet.

The least they could have done was throw in some lousy Markov chains.

:unamused:

3 Likes

I would expect something called AI poem to be able to learn meter and rhyme structure.

2 Likes

Yeah, at least make the bad poetry bad actual poetry instead of bad free verse.

2 Likes

If @pentamatron can do it…

My absolute favorite sentence in that article:

Eye tracking of Chimpanzees, Bonobos, and Orangutans suggest that all three anticipate the false beliefs of a subject in a King Kong suit

Personally, I’m inclined to believe that that side-eye betrays a silent communication of “get a load of Don McLeod there,” but regardless I’m just glad somebody funded the wherewithal for that sentence to be composed in the first place.

1 Like

Fascinating, both in what it gets right and what it gets wrong.

Clever, recognizing that = is pronounced equals.

Only if you pronounce object as in the noun and not the verb.

Well I’ll be damned, this actually works!

Don’t think I didn’t notice the rhyming couplets. :

:smiley:

“just don’t look at him directly”

1 Like

Just look at him.

2 Likes

Yeah, most of the time they’re pretty inane, but sometimes the couplets are sublime.

It seems like there used to be a write-up of how the bot was implemented, but I’m not finding it now. I can’t recall how accurate it was supposed to be, especially with things like your example of the pronunciation of the noun and verb forms of object.

1 Like

This probably requires a lot of human supervision at first.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.