Eating the food of the 50s

Probably needed gelatin as a binder.

1 Like

Like how far north? Rhinelander? Woodruff? My grandma grew up in Merrill. Suffice it to say, Iā€™m far too familiar with weird jello concoctions being called ā€œsalad,ā€ and out of hte states you list, Iā€™ve lived in all, but ND.

Nope, not that farā€¦she was from the U.P. (first child in her family born in the U.S.) so I think of it as being ā€œnorthernā€ Wisconsin but Shawano is south and east of where youā€™re talking about.

Whatā€™s your go-to hotdish?

The one is a dish or preparation method, the other is a food group.

A vegan sausage or patty is foremost a preparation method . nothing in it intrinsically requires it to consist of meat.

Itā€™s only deluded Vegetarians - a subset of vegetarians, mind you - that try to claim that, say, a vegetarian pattie and a meat patty are the same and thus exchangeable. Except of course, that the vegetarian one are better for you, God, the environment, your health, the animals, and so on.

And there a probably bad Vegetarian restaurants around. I certainly met quite a few cooks who had trouble serving Vegetarian meals, because all they can do is leaving out the meat in a dish, which quite often isnā€™t enough. But since there are plenty of bad cooks and restaurants serving meat badly, bad cuisine isnā€™t an intrinsic feature of vegetarian cuisine.

2 Likes

Ah, to me, thatā€™s eastern Wisconsin. Go west (and a tad south), and ye shall find my parentā€™s stomping ground.

Thatā€™s one bit of Minnesotan I never could abide. The damned things are called ā€œcasserolesā€. Green bean, but augmented with other veg and a tasteable amount of garlic.

1 Like

The midwest does not understand winter vegetables, IME. I was just in Indiana, where brussels sprouts were $2.59 per pound, sold only in 1-pound pre-sorted mesh bags. There was no chard to be found, no kale, no parsnips. Back here in the Bay Area, brussels sprouts are $1.79 a pound, sold loose so you can select for size as you prefer (I like the teeny ones), and itā€™s a winter greens festival everywhere you look.

Rotkraut (a German stewed red cabbage dish. Good stuff.)
Edit: Example recipe.

But why do you care that thereā€™s a market for fake meat? Anything that makes vegetarianism more feasible should be lauded. And I say that as a meat-eater. (Try the Soyrizo, it doesnā€™t slice the same as chorizo but once you hash it up you canā€™t tell the difference.)

I make a Danish version that requires a lot less fussiness and fewer ingredients but is still quite wonderful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.