eBay: Space Gray iMac Pro keyboard bidded up to $1,500 with time to spare

The only point of collecting the puck mouse is so you can take a bunch of them to the shooting range to use as targets. Hell, they’d make better skeets than mice.

3 Likes

I didn’t say that in my post btw, someone else did methinks.

I liked mine. Only swapped it out because I wanted more than one button. Now, the nipple mouse, that was some straight trash.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ll take one off your hands if you give me $10.

But I won’t take both, unless someone gives me $30.

5 Likes

Wow, you’re the only person I know who has ever said this about the puck mouse. I tried to like it, and ended up hating it. Quickly replaced it once I realized it was genuinely awful. Do you have, like, REALLY tiny hands?

1 Like

To this day, I use a two-finger grip and never actually rest my palm on the mouse, or even move my arm that much. But yeah, I thought the puck worked a treat. No complaints whatsoever, apart from wanting to join the rest of the world and gain a right-click.

In my meager defense, I’ve actually run across one other person in the last 20 years who liked the puck. For better or worse, we’re out there.

4 Likes

Happy Mutant, you most certainly be!

2 Likes

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bade+her+half+the+price+she+asked
Google doesn’t know that.

Yeah, with mice you gotta pull the handle awful quick or they jump right out of the trap!

(Even if you do get one launched you gotta hit it before a hawk grabs it like it’s flying mice pizza delivery day!)

4 Likes

That’s the 1825 edition. I was citing the 1751 edition (which he wrote before he died).

From the OED:

Of course, the OED also allows “bid” as a past tense, as a third choice:

In any event, I’m not sure I understand the point of this thread derail. Did you think my initial reply to Rob was serious?

4 Likes

So not, “forebidededed”?

2 Likes

That was the mouse that caused me to use a Wacom graphics tablet instead of a mouse.
I was just a little ahead of my time. Having bought iMacs for the office, we had to replace all the mice within days.

Welcome to BoingBoing. I look forward with interest to your future posting history, which promises either to be rare, more measured, or brief.

3 Likes

Safe UL Listed, sane USB 1.1 compliant?

1 Like

Apple is not really a bubble per se, because its products do have technical merit (whereas the South Sea Bubble, the tulip craze, the dotcom boom and the 2000s real estate boom did not.)
But to me it demonstrates how one biological mechanism gets repurposed accidentally. We are very good at spotting the ripest fruit, the healthiest looking vegetables, the most suitable game to hunt. Our visual system and our brain learn quickly to identify the “best” in any class. The downside comes when the intrinsic merit of something is not really visual, i.e. technology allows us to make things that are visually deceptive. It’s like Tinbergen’s baby herring gulls, which recognising their mother by a pointed yellow beak with a red spot, demanded food even harder from a yellow pencil with a red spot because it was even sharper, yellower and redder.
On top of that you have advertised reproductive fitness - the ability to consume conspicuously, like the antlers of deer or the coke and champagne chugging of rap musicians.
I think people will pay such large amounts of money for things identified as best in class because in our ancestry it was literally a matter of survival. Now, the reward is only less than the cost if people do not know what the cost was.
The iPhone X is valuable because everybody knows it is the $1000 phone and the cutout differentiates it from the competition. Having a space grey keyboard only matters if you can remark “These are going for $1500 on eBay.”

1 Like

Actually, I worked with the Puck Mouse on a daily basis for more than 3 years and you really get used to it. The point of its design is to not give the user a comfi resting place for his hand as to avoid carpal syndrome and it worked.

Now you’ve met two. Same as you, I only switched because I got tired of control-clicking instead of right-clicking like I could on my Sun box, not to mention terminal middle-button paste.

2 Likes

good gravy, they could have gotten almost 200 multimeters for that price!

6 Likes

Aaah.

But “bade” is obsolete in the sense of “made an offer”.

People can be unserious here?

2 Likes