Eccentric axe uses physics to make splitting firewood easier

Since the linked video seems to have deliberately avoided any sort of examination of the tool itself, or of hyper-slow-motion shots of impact, I can only infer the following:

I suspect the handle of the tool is a sleeve with an embedded spring that permits the head to twist independently of the handle on impact, then returns the head to its original orientation after impact. The spring wouldn’t have to be very strong, so the amount of torque transmitted back to the wielder could be small.

The blurb on the article (I agree the video was useless) says it’s just weighted to one side (the little thing hanging off the back presumably) so when it hits the wood the axe wants to twist.

A log splitter needs more maintenance and a power source, but you won’t be utterly exhausted after using it, especially if you’re like this guy and chop your wood into toothpicks and then bag them up before stacking.

1 Like

A lot of the questions and concerns being raised here -what does it look like close up? -how is it used on knotty wood? etc, are actually answered on the linked website (there’s a long English FAQ). I’d like to see it being used on spruce or other knotty wood, but it seems a pretty nifty invention.

As others point out, if you’re splitting serious amounts of wood, power splitters are the way to go.

pgt

A ‘Wed?’
Googled with no results…

Years ago, when I had wood heat, I learned to split wood with an axe. Anyone who has experience knows you can hold an ordinary axe when you swing it in such a way as to cause it to twist similar to the invention axe. A staight axe is a general tool, used for limbing trees, driving stakes etc, the skill of the bearer makes a difference.

3 Likes

But still more complex that this, and therefore more potential points of failure. I’m not saying this may be the best tool for every scenario, but it looks like a time-saver for casual use when someone would traditionally use an axe or wedge. Plus, bonus points for creating small pieces on the fly as opposed to the old “split in half, split that half in half, split the resulting half in half” way of splitting with an axe or wedge.

Yup. Only place I need logs, has onea these on the back of the tractor. Ker-CHUNK!

The FAQ’s example of a difficult log is a spruce. It really doesn’t answer my question.

before enlightenment, carry water chop wood. after enlightenment, carry water chop wood eccentrically.

12 Likes

Theres a guy that bought a bunch of scythes to Nepal http://scytheworks.com/SPIN2012report.html . The locals were amazed how they could work many times faster than with a sickle and couldn’t believe that it was millenia old technology.

6 Likes

Wedge, my phone doesn’t get along with the boards. It’s difficult to catch and correct typos.
Basically does the same work as a splitting maul, I just find the maul ungainly and it fucks my back more than a wedge and sledge.

When I was looking for a decent video of a log splitter, I found the ones that looked older and welded together from parts to be much less scary than some of the ones you can buy from a manufacturer. One of them emphasized how fast it was and my first thought was “Someone’s getting a hand crushed in that.”

I’ve actually used a kludged-together splitter a couple of times with old trees (RAWR! Manliness!) and wood will crack and fly off in scary ways sometimes. Going slow and steady with those things is a good idea.

Of course when you want to stop fucking around and really split some wood, you get one of these:

3 Likes

Right. Axes are for limbing and kindling. A splitting maul (with an oval eye) does what this thing does for far less cash.

3 Likes

The linked page in the BB story (http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm) has a slow-mo video:

3 Likes

Really? This far in with no mention? Ok, I’ll go.
How would it work on zombies?

2 Likes

The linked page in the BB story (http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/description.htm) has a “LEVERAXE vs. SPLITTER: Timed Race” video, FWIW:

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea but I think you linked the wrong video – wouldn’t a hydraulic screw axe be more like an auger?

1 Like

It would probably give them a splitting headache…

2 Likes

I don’t split wood that often, but still this looks fun.

Also … first question from the FAQ

Question 1: Can VIPUKIRVES™ be used by a woman?

1 Like