YouTuber tries a spring-loaded axe

Originally published at: YouTuber tries a spring-loaded axe

3 Likes

Just from the headline, I was half expecting Joerg

5 Likes

I was 16 years old before I found out that my name wasn’t “Get-wood”. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

My experience using one of these growing up was, well, that I didn’t like it. I would have much rather used the felling axe we had, and did unless my dad came along and told me to use the the spring loaded splitter. Of course, the splitter was heavier, was probably dull as xhit, and I was 12…

These days, I use whatever random axe I bought at the hardware store, a standard splitting maul and a pointy wedge when required.
My favorite axe though is the Estwing Camper’s Axe. It is just a joy to use for appropriate tasks :grinning:
prod_outdoor_axes_E44A_02_2000x2000-600x600

4 Likes

The axe is neat, have never seen one like that before, but nowhere near as impressive as her chopping skills. Dang!

8 Likes

Isn’t that more of a hatchet? But yes, Estwing makes nice stuff.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, knida. It has a longer handle than a typical hatchet and has a longer cutting edge than Estwings other hatchet offerings. So I guess it’s a small axe or a large hatchet. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes
16 Likes

That was adorable. I once got to use an axe like that, it was fun.

2 Likes

I can’t really tell what the axe is doing, if anything. (I feel like her skill and strength are such that even if you gave her a blunt stick to use, she’d probably still be neatly cleaving those logs with it.) In theory, it’s doing what - the weights attached to the springs are applying a secondary force after the log is hit?

4 Likes

Flipping heck she’s got some impressive shoulders. Also an awesome swing!

6 Likes

It looks to me like the little wing things get caught when the axe enters the wood, and convert a little bit of the downward force into outward force. Then when you pull it out, the springs pull them back mostly inside the head. But the bit of axe head that houses those wings is a honking wedge on each side of the axe. That thing is wider than a normal splitting maul even.

7 Likes

Nicole Coenen is one of my favourite YouTubers. She is really uplifting. Okee dokee!

6 Likes

With a regular axe you give a little twist to the handle when it enters the wood; this axe automates that action. Just “plowing through” with an axe won’t split the wood unless it is a very heavy “maul”.

3 Likes

Watch the second video. It becomes much clearer.

5 Likes

I was expecting YouTuber “I did a thing”

3 Likes

Nicole is amazing! Watch more of her videos, buy t-shirts, learn to chop wood or just watch her chop wood.

I gained a new comet relationship at camp this year. We’d already gotten to know each other a bit and were already planning to continue our conversations after camp. Then I got to see them chopping wood for our Saturday night bonfire. :open_mouth: :fire: :heart_eyes: There’s just something about that action that is so great to watch.

6 Likes

I like the term, “comet relationship”; I’ve not come across that before.

5 Likes

They’re someone who lives far away, so we don’t get to see each other very often, but we do have periodic visits when our orbits intersect. To complete the analogy, it’s a special event when we get to visit! :smiling_face: (They visited this past weekend, actually, so I got to show them some of my corner of the world!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.