Eclectic Musical Taste

I’m a big Son Volt fan. There was a Boston band that did a fantastic cover of Tear Stained Eye. I wish I had a copy of that but the disc is long gone and so are they.

2 Likes

Is this it?

3 Likes

That’s the son volt version for sure and it’s really good, I was referring to the cover version.

1 Like

If you think of it, let me know, I’d love to hear it!

I also like quite a bit of Jay Farrar’s solo stuff, such as the album he made with Stephen Drozt of Flaming Lips…

1 Like

If you like hooverphonic:

Worth it just for the note at 2:25

2 Likes

Maybe some Mugison?

3 Likes

Red House Painters, from their 1995 album “Ocean Beach”.

3 Likes

here’s a cool song i heard at a bar in prague. it’s pretty obscure you probably haven’t heard of it

1 Like

Firstly the song-poem, how do I hear something like this? Now that I know it exists I must hear some! So far the level of difficulty to do so seems vexingly high. I wanted to ask the initial question with an interrobang.

I’ve enjoyed so much of the music here and have noticed a clear affinity toward songwriting/story telling in the selections. I have a strong affinity for groove based music and also to experimental music and noise. No matter the instrument selection or stylistic approach, I’m game. So I guess that’s eclectic.

Goran Bregovic isn’t obscure as one of the Balkans most known artists and neither is Iggy Pop with his mostly half naked appearances everywhere. Obscurity has much to do with context. I learned of Bregovic from a Polish ex. This collaboration I discovered on the internet like so much of what I listen to. Love the Balkan groove and the dark but transcendent joy of both the music and lyrics. In the death car we’re alive! Its in a 1993 movie called Arizona Dream, which I have not seen.

2 Likes

Yep, I love this one as well. I haven’t heard any Hooverphonic that I haven’t liked.

1 Like

It’s not as lyrical as his song with Goran Bregovic, but Iggy Pop sounds like he’s enjoying himself on this story/poem/song with Underworld.

1 Like

I loved it :smile: Totally bizarre.

1 Like

In this instance, Google is your friend (as is WFMU’s Beware of the Blog, a fantastic source for sonic marvels):

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/02/songpoem-archived-music-volume-1.html

Here’s an example I found on YouTube:

I’ve certainly heard of Iggy Pop, but Goran Bregovic wasn’t known to me before now. Thank you! That was very enjoyable.

(eta) There is also a great documentary called “Off the Charts” you could watch to learn more about this form of music:

2 Likes

I remember ashtrays in airplanes. I want to quit smoking.

Thanks for this! I’ll be down the rabbit hole now!

Have fun! Enjoy the rabbits!

1 Like

For some reason, Discourse can’t do anything with a Bandcamp link other than import the cover image, which is weird, so:

“The Projectionist” by the Places

I dig the melancholy ghostliness of it all. Amy Annelle’s music all has this quality, but “The Projectionist” seems to capture best the parts of it that I like.

EDIT: Trying direct Bandcamp link to see if it works per @pensketch:

2 Likes

Weird. I used a Bandcamp link above when I was talking about DeVotchKa…

(edit) Ah! It just doesn’t show it in the preview window. It’s fine when you save your comment.

(edit 2) I enjoyed that. Thanks. I sort of got a Neutral Milk Hotel vibe from it. Without it getting quite as shrill.

4 Likes

Ah, let me edit and try again.

Weird, it didn’t even add anything. Maybe it doesn’t work on edits.

Edit of edit: browser plugin issue. It DOES work!

1 Like

I think my favorite from In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is The King of Carrot Flowers.

I liked that track you posted from Sleeper; it reminded me a little of an uptempo Mitski.

4 Likes