Eclectic Musical Taste

Here’s an interestingly weird album…

1 Like

Here’s a song I (somewhat) guarantee nobody’s heard… a band I used to see live quite a bit back when I lived in Cincinnati was Radiolaria, who were a sort of funky chill version of Stereolab.

2 Likes

For those not familiar, Red House Painters is really just one guy. I saw his show at The Magic Stick in Detroit sometime in ‘96 or ‘97. It was weird to have a music act there since it’s a billiards hall. Normally, you see bands downstairs at The Majestic.

3 Likes

The weirdest place I ever saw a show was a punk band from NYC playing in an Eritrean restaurant/bar outside of the ATL!

2 Likes

Mark Kozelek is a fascinating, sometimes-brilliant, often-frustrating guy. I loved his beautiful work as Red House Painters and then the lovely songs he recorded in the early days of Sun Kil Moon. These days, well… let’s just say I’m not a fan of the “mumbly describing my lunch” ‘story’ songs he does.

2 Likes

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead

Which includes a distorted sample of Óró Mo Bháidín, one of my mother’s favourites

1 Like

Was reminded of Arthur Brown recently, (upon Keith Flint’s (rip) passing - Brown is the source of the vocals sampled on The Prodigy’s Fire).

… a taste of his particular madness:

3 Likes

Typical Lo-Fi, Hi-energy kickass with ‘muscular’ accents from legendary Mission of Burma:

4 Likes

Get thee to an Ethiopian nunnery!

3 Likes

When I need “genius-having-a-montage” music, this is my go-to.

This is probably Penguin Cafe Orchestra’s most well-known piece (largely due to genius montages) but their whole catalog is aces – real music-of-the-spheres stuff as far as I’m concerned.

5 Likes

I love this too. I’d like to suggest another performer that was well-known on TV long ago…

2 Likes

Hurtmold.

2 Likes

Nightmares on wax.

2 Likes
2 Likes

tumblr_nojnbgaHdb1uuyehpo1_500

9 Likes

Grupo Rumo

http://www.gruporumo.com.br/

2 Likes

I have a lot of catching up to do, however I felt that this recent post fits in well here, so I’m adding a link to it:

I also just picked up two new CDs that I’ll be listening to as I work today:

ETA one off “Hillbillies In Hell: Rapture” that immediately caught my attention:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Bet you never heard of Mennonite rap!

And this is just way to many drugs…

3 Likes
1 Like