Eclectic Musical Taste

1 Like

At various points in my life I’ve been way into Magma. Their mid-70’s live stuff is killer (while the studio versions of the same songs end up being very staid and tedious). They inspired a whole genre of heavy prog, “Zeuhl”, of which this is probably the best album not by Magma:

I remember getting into Magma in my late teens, around the same time I discovered these two bands:

which eventually led me to this band:

5 Likes

I like that Massacre album, I have a so-so rip of it somewhere. Was Massacre a Fred Frith thing?

Ah, what the heck, Os Mutantes, “Panis et Circenses”:

and live in France (very) 1969:

5 Likes

Massacre was Frith, Bill Laswell, and NY session drummer Fred Maer who were trying to make improvised songs that sounded written, and written songs that sounded improvised, and were using the NYC punk/no-wave sound as a palette. They only made that one album (though a few tracks also surfaced on Frith’s “Speechless” LP), broke up, then reformed in the early 00’s with Charles Hayward (of This Heat) on drums (and have since cut several more albums with him.) Apparently they originally broke up because the first drummer, once he started getting more studio gigs, started playing very normal rhythms and they found it didn’t work anymore-- they caught lightning in a bottle with him for that one LP.

1 Like

A hit song in its day: “Sajan Kaha Jaoongi Main,” a great old Bollywood song, sung by Lata Mangeshkar and acted in this clip by two very early-60s folks, bless them:

The more recent Kronos Quartet instrumental version which made me look up the original:

3 Likes

Os Novos Baianos

1 Like

from a live performance in richmond, virginia in 2007. released as “richmond sunday” in 2012. the representative from corwood on guitar and vocals is backed by a dream-like saxophonist and a drummer with serious skills.

2 Likes

Rough Trade was one of my favorite 80s punkish new wave band. Too soon gone.

And, same era, The Waitresses were again a huge fave

4 Likes
3 Likes

I bought both of the CDs of this series that are available so far, but there is far more musical oddities to be found in ripped LPs on YouTube. Here are a few for anyone interested in finding out if it’s your thing:

and if you enjoy them, you can find more on YouTube.

1 Like

2 Likes

The country music business is still easily scandalized

5 Likes

Ken Burns had something to say about “Old Town Road”:

It’s at the end of the video… but it’s worth watching the whole 7 minutes.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I wonder if Rev. Horton Heat was influenced by Turner.

1 Like

“Old Town Road” is such a weird phenomenon. Is it country? A country parody? Hip hop? A kids’ tune? It’s incredibly catchy, so I guess categories don’t really matter.

Meanwhile, a song about gay cowboy hustlers sung by an anonymous gay crooner in a fringe mask is also topping the country charts…

6 Likes

I’m drawing attention to your post because I agree with you…people should watch your linked video, especially the part about the eclectic diversity that informs music.

3 Likes

Um, yeah. :laughing:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Afric Simone’s Hafanana has made me grin every time I’ve heard it over 40 years. I just noticed that someone has posted a video, which is even better:

(Warning: I also noticed there is a Slovakian cover of this from 10 years ago that is creepy and offensive and depressing. I strongly suggest not clicking on that if you encounter it.)

1 Like