Nice primer on the genre of outsider music

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/18/nice-primer-on-the-genre-of-outsider-music.html

4 Likes

‘Philosophy of the World’ is the only album I can genuinely say brings a smile to my face every time I listen. A huge heartwarning grin.

7 Likes

The RE/search books “Incredibly Strange Music” volumes 1 and 2 are another fine starting place. I don’t know if they’re still available, but they each came with a CD.

4 Likes

Shooby Taylor! There was a hot three months back in my early 20’s where I was really into Shooby’s sound. Then one day that weird scat music didn’t do it for me anymore, but thanks for bringing back the fond memory.

2 Likes

Hi, how are you?

Listening to “Outsider Music” and looking at “Outsider Art” is kind of liberating. Though I think I grock the Outsiders’ output more than the works of modern, atonal composers. That stuff has passed through the musical event horizon in to an alien phonic dimension.

1 Like

This Outsider Music stuff is fascinating! Someone should write a book about it.

1 Like

When I busk outdoors, am I an outsider? BTW including Tiny Tim as such is misleading – IIRC he was an acknowledged expert on pre-electric music (before electric recordings) who was consulted for many film soundtracks for authenticity. An odd performer, sure, but mainstream work paid his bills.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.