Ecuador expected to hand Assange to UK (Update: Ecuador denies)

Yes, that’s what takes the integrity out of Wikileaks…

2 Likes

Ecuador should take him to Switzerland & hand him over to Hillary Clinton. :grinning:

2 Likes

I always see his name a s Ass Mange.

3 Likes

Agreed, Wikileaks has functioned as blessing as well as a curse. But I will never forgive Assange for continuing to refer to his enterprise as “Wikileaks”, despite the fact that it has had absolutely nothing to do with Wiki software for many, many years now.

It’s an act of bullshittery: by calling it “Wiki”, Assange tries to make something that he has absolute control over appear to be something that everyone has control over—essentially dressing up his own personal dictatorship as if it were a democracy. The only wikiesque part of Wikileaks is that anyone can send them leaked info, but (newsflash) you can find plenty of journalists who will take leaks, and none of them claim to be working for a wiki.

This type of branding deception runs throughout Assange’s bio: he tries to present himself as a champion of freedom, but he clearly has an authoritarian personality, and his commitment to “freedom” seems to me to be of the Peter Thiel-anti-democratic-libertarian kind.

Assange just isn’t trustworthy. He has his own agenda. And he exploits the association of the word “Wiki” with the democracy-like features of wikis, to make his narcissistic ass appear to be trustworthy. It’s bullshit.

13 Likes

Well, they’re not very big, so it would need to be about 10 diplomatic pouches…

2 Likes

He never had any integrity. If you haven’t read or watched any of the several accounts surrounding Wikileaks and how it all played out; do so. It was a shit show from the start. The people responsible for anything “good” from Wikileaks left long ago. Assange is trash.

4 Likes

Who has been watering his plants all this time he’s been away?

1 Like

Considering what’s been reported about his personal hygeine via interviews with embassy staff, and testimony from previous wikileaks co-workers, that might be more accurate than you expect. Apparently, he’s got a stench to him so thick you could cut it with a chainsaw.

1 Like

Assange’s weaseling (among them bail jumping instead of respecting the promises he gave to respect the UK courts decisions to get out of jail during the extradition process & refusing to exit the embassy as promised after Manning’s release) aren’t the biggest part of why Wikileaks is seen to be without integrity now, but his repeated weaseling is a significant factor.

Being a transparent Putin tool and refusing to criticize his czar is of course the biggest reason why Wikileaks is seen to be without integrity.

5 Likes

Grumpy_Cat-Good

1 Like

Is this a good thing? He’s a loathsome individual but i find it worrying for the precedent it could set so i can’t celebrate this.

1 Like

Clearly, he chose the wrong embassy.

If he had claimed asylum at the Russian embassy, he’d be resting comfortably in the Rezident’s Suite. Or they would have smuggled him out to Moscow, and “freedom”, by now.

1 Like

The precedent for skipping bail to not answer rape charges?

1 Like

I would dearly love for him to face a trial for those charges but it’s not that simple, is it? They’ve been dropped so the precedent will be set for any whistleblower to be extradited on the whim of a trump state, that is a dangerous precedent.

There’s no extradition request for Assange, he’s currently guilty of skipping bale in the UK, for which he’ll hopefully do some time in the near future. The Swedish prosecutors didn’t really ‘drop’ the charges either, they basically just gave up because there was no immediate prospect of them continuing their investigation, which they are free to resume in the future if they so wish. If they want to reopen extradition proceedings in the future it will have nothing to do with whistleblowing.

1 Like

Wikileaks is/was not powered by integrity… certainly not Assange’s, in any case. His motives have always been about building his cult of personality.

Dude has a crazy messiah complex (he even refused live on radio in the UKto state that he wasn’t Jesus). I can’t abide him.

Regardless of who this guy is, those rape charges were amazingly serendipitous considering how many people wanted him out of the picture. Justice was also amazingly swift. I would have run if I were him, too. He’s likely to end up dead, or never getting out of prison. Any sympathy I might have for him was dampened when he started interfering with the US election, however.

Oh, I agree. I guess my point was there were a few moral high ground excuses here or there with his behaviour, if you go with some of the governmental harassment stories. I.e., he was being unjustly hounded by the powers that be. When the offer to turn himself in to release someone he took advantage of came out, there was a good option for some redemption. Nope, weasel.

1 Like

For all those on this thread perpetuating the bogus narrative of the deep state by demonizing one of the most important journalists on earth (Assange is fully supported by heroic whistleblowers like Daniel Ellsberg, Bill Binney, John Kiriakou, Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning, and by journalists like Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges), here’s a list of just some of the major global stories based on documents released by Wikileaks:

Many people seeking justice worldwide have relied on cables and documents released by Wikileaks. If you’ve convinced yourself that Julian Assange is a bad guy with BO you’ve bought into a coordinated smear campaign. If you still think he’s avoiding rape charges (a false narrative pushed by much of the American and U.K. media), maybe dig into the details to understand why the U.N. Working Group on Arbitrary Detention ruled his detention in the Ecuadorian embassy to be unlawful.
https://www.justice4assange.com/UN-Working-Group-on-Arbitrary.html

If you believe he’s a Kremlin stooge, try explaining this one:

WikiLeaks has released over 650,000 critical documents relating to Russia under Vladimir Putin, including releases about surveillance contractors in Russia. wikileaks.org/spyfiles/russi…

It’s been fascinating but unsurprising to watch the American and British media turn wholesale against Assange while dining out for years with front page stories on documents he released. What’s depressing is to see how American “progressives” have been so deeply brainwashed that, to paraphrase Malcolm X, they now root for the oppressor and attack the oppressed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2017/apr/21/arresting-julian-assange-is-a-priority-says-us-attorney-general-jeff-sessions?espv=1