Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg look at the work of cartoonist Dave Cooper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/14/ed-piskor-and-jim-rugg-look-at.html

2 Likes

Cooper’s later Weasel cover art have the sardonic manner and look of the best Zagreb Studio cartoonists.

2 Likes

Ever since the news about John K. as an abuser came out, justified or not, art in that style makes me wonder about the artist - even though I love it. If you look at the stuff on the website, the way women are depicted has a sort of self-loathing for desire / adoration of women’s bodies mix. Which, before I just chalked up to radical honesty and artistic expression. But now I always worry it bleeds over into the way the artists treat actual women.

1 Like

I’ve been a long time lurker here, but signed up to respond to your comment.

Dave is a good friend, and his treatment of women is exemplary. The work is challenging for a lot of reasons, but fortunately that isn’t one of them.

That is good to hear! I don’t mean to disparage somebody I don’t know, and I do love the art. I think I am more on guard now these days about my unquestioning fandom of things and people I like.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.