Edward Snowden is almost broke

The next Prez will just make camps for all the dissenters and put us there. See you in the lunch line. IF we even get lunch.

Not yet… but the way things are going, that could change, and the record of you donating would still be there. Or it could just be a continuation of the process of more and more jobs in technology requiring a security clearance, which you’ll never get if you’re on that list.

If someone gives money to Snowden directly can they be charged as an accomplice? I don’t know. It’s a serious question and someone should answer it.

4 Likes

If he’s a terrorist, you could be charged with providing material support to a terrorist. Is he a terrorist? If the ruling on that comes from a secret court who hears classified evidence, would we even know?

1 Like

I’m sure I’m already on watchlists, so really I have nothing to lose by donating to funds like these. My main concern is the same one that some other commenters have expressed: how can I trust that the money will get where it’s supposed to go?

1 Like

And yet just the other day you posted a link to, supposedly, a fund taking donations for him:

Who on earth are you? You come off like a UK Home Office mid 20’s right wing / left wing hipster mimicking civil servant. I’m intrigued.

2 Likes

I rather suspect the misspelling is syntactical camouflage.

Well, because I actually understand WHY he ended up there, I can say it’s because he had his passport rescinded in transit. you’re a bit of a one-trick pony, aren’t you?

1 Like

Honest, Lee, at this point I have no idea WHAT to think.

Who would’ve thought 20 years ago that we hear such things from US-Americans … and still USians and their government like to depict themselves as the ultimate paragon of freedom and liberty.

Guns and freedom of speech alone don’t make a free society - especially when undermined by massive surveillance (e.g. see the quotes above).

3 Likes

I’d like to call citation needed on both those claims.[quote=“Synesthesia, post:30, topic:14186”]
Do you honestly believe your goverment will jail you for donating to a fund?
[/quote]

They probably don’t but its fun to make claims like that since it inflates one’s sense of self importance to imagine that one is worth the attention of the guys with sunglasses and earbuds. That and he general human tendency towards fear mongering.

1 Like

Because no government or power has ever in the entirety of history once jailed someone for financing something they don’t like.

Not ever.

1 Like

I seem to recall Snowden getting a job in Russia in IT, or something to that effect, in an article posted right here on BB. Or am I losing it?

No, I remember that too. That was posted earlier this week, I think.

1 Like

Well, I’ve got a job, and I’m broke.

3 Likes

I hear ya. I just wonder how broke, like completely destitute or just scraping by broke. I think that the best way to funnel money is through his parents and not a website. I suppose that they could be charged with aiding and abetting, but there would be an uproar if these people were thrown in jail. At least I would hope so.

I doubt it would ever be allowed to get from them to Snowden. I’d have thought his lawyer would be a better bet.

1 Like

Easy way for Putin to score massive global political points.

1 Like

Subtlety and nuance don’t exist in your universe, do they? Or do you get paid to be so binary?

The Office of Foreign Asset Control keeps a “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons” list, which is essentially just a giant list of everyone you’re not supposed to do any business with or trade funds with if you’re an American citizen. The list is supposed to be designed to keep terrorists from getting funding from US individuals or companies and to keep sanctions in place, such as our embargo on Cuba.

It’s a publicly accessible list, and Edward Snowden does not appear on it right now.

That’s not to say the government wouldn’t come after you for helping him, but he’s not actually listed as someone US citizens aren’t supposed to business with right now.

2 Likes