Snowden's yet-unleaked leaks could be America's 'worst nightmare,' says Greenwald

Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian journalist who was first to publish the documents that former NSA contractor Edward Snowden leaked about the US government’s surveillance programs, gave an interview to the Argentinean daily La Nacion. "Snowden has enough information to cause harm to the U.S. government in a single minute than any other person has ever… READ THE REST

1 Like

But would it be good or bad for the long term production of citizen services by the US government?

The present US government is not the only way to provide such services to citizens, and is certainly not the best way. If our institutions are hostile to us, we should dismantle them and replace them.

5 Likes

A minor grammar note: That last sentence had a redundant “If” at the start.

4 Likes

Not sure I understand Snowden’s slow leak strategy. I don’t see him blackmailing the US into giving him a pardon, but he’s giving the US a very strong motivation to stop him from making future leaks. Assassination probably isn’t a risk (if for no other reason then a deadman’s switch) but there’s other ways to make him very uncomfortable.

It’s not a big risk, but I don’t see why it’s worth it.

It’s the only card he has to play. As long as he’s got that card, he’s still a player in the game. The second he plays it, he becomes just another chip in the pile.

1 Like

Gentlemen, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

3 Likes

The US’s worst nightmare is that a Russian or Chinese leader launch a nuclear first strike that kills 100 million Americans in a matter of minutes and leaves another 100 million to die of starvation and radiation poisoning over the course of a few months. Whatever Greenwald thinks Snowden can do to us, I doubt it even breaks the top 25 worst things that could be done to the America. They hyperbola is getting thick at this point.

3 Likes

You misunderstand. The purpose of the US Government is the production of the services of its citizens for the benefit of its corporate owners. Where does this idea of services to the citizens come from? If a citizen wants services, let that citizen pay for them.

6 Likes

OBAMA’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

(sorry)

2 Likes

Harm to the USG in this instance, is not harm to the people of the US. Rarely is harm to any government harm to the nationals. The USG is responsible for more than 20 million civilian deaths since the fighting stopped in Korea. It needs to be harmed as often as possible until it stops harming innocents around the world.

7 Likes

from greenwald:
“About the Reuters article -
The latest effort to distract attention from the NSA revelations is more absurd than most”
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/13/reuters-article-dead-man-s-switch

I’m guessing reptoids.

3 Likes

Read Greenwald’s response to Reuters’ “reporting”. Lets just say their translation is not what he said.

2 Likes

I do find it a bit ironic that he’s wanting asylum from Russia. With that deadman’s switch I’m surprised he’s still alive even there in the airport! Talk about a painting a giant target for anyone with a beef against the US/NSA. The moment he leaves, asylum or not, even if just enroute to some SA embassy, he’s going to “accidentally” have a 20-ton lorry on his ass, (literally). Sigh… My hero!

I say let him be tried in a a court of law and let the card where they fall.

The problem with that idea is the Law has been set to favor the NSA. They can say he broke the Law and give no specifics because hey, the Law is classified information. On top of that, there’s the problem with the breaking of Law by the NSA in regards to the citizens of the U.S. and other countries. Sure, they want to keep all the attention they can on him because it’s the most immediate distraction to that…

3 Likes

In Soviet America, card fall you where they

6 Likes

So does anyone want to still tell me “they don’t care” and they’re not getting nervous?

Don’t worry. They are. As they should be.

he’s giving the US a very strong motivation to stop him from making future leaks

No, he’s not. There’s others that have the informations to release upon his death, etc.

Snowden would like to introduce you to his 900 pound pet gorilla named DeathMonkey.
Please beware, the gorilla is rather irritated, protective and bites.

CowTip: DeathMonkey is his dead man’s switch.