Edward Snowden is now formally a Russian

I assume you can prove those assertions?

That’s just fucking insulting. Lindsay Mills in an American.

This discussion has been had as nauseum here on BBS, yet no evidence has been presented. Meanwhile, I can show numerous talks he gave for EFF et al that provide his income.

It also seems that you fail to grasp how dual citizenship works.

19 Likes

don’t worry it’s not like they’re going to entrust him with any secrets

that career is over no matter where he goes

6 Likes

… that’s called “making shit up”

that too

18 Likes

I am getting some serious deja vu here. (Not a ReBoing, just the same conversation unfolding.)

4 Likes

And interestingly enough, @lion made the same spurious accusations there without evidence.

sci-fi disney GIF by MANGOTEETH

Edited to correct cross post link.

8 Likes

He should accept the consequences of his actions and return to America to be tortured in some hole for the rest of his life I say sitting in my comfortable chair.

People are mad at a hero because he embarassed Obama.

5 Likes

You’re not wrong. But I have a hunch there’s not one among us here that wouldn’t at least be a little bit surprised what they evolve into should tomorrow their name suddenly be known to every judge, every member of congress. Every journalist hanging on your next word (and not in a silly viral meme kind of way).

Same concept as winning the lottery: everyone knows exactly how they’d spend the money until they actually have it!

5 Likes

Not as of September.

9 Likes

… or because he’s “getting away with something”

… or they’ve got him mixed up with somebody else

4 Likes

In fact, it is not easy, cheap or quick to renounce US citizenship. And it would require multiple visits to an embassy or consulate.

7 Likes

You can’t just say Benedict Arnold three times?

7 Likes

You have to give them your tax returns for the past five years (to make sure it’s not for tax evasion purposes) and make sure that you’re all paid up on taxes and then I think the fee for renunciation is 2200 dollars.

I might just have to do all that myself…

6 Likes

My point was largely that doing this in the first place couldn’t help but raise the hackles of people and agencies who’s entire job is to investigate this exact sort of thing.

And the best anyone can come up with as a reason is “of course, the CIA would was going to assassinate this suddenly highly visible American citizen on American soil”.

Something there is no evidence for. More rooted in supposition and conspiracy than anything else. Basically amounting to Snowden says that’s what he was worried about.

So that becomes the question. Protected from what?

There was no way doing this wasn’t going to lead to these agencies trying to detain him, and investigating the issue.

The documents Snowden took contained non-public interest information that was a security risk. We know that because a lot of what the Guardian was doing at the time was sorting that out.

You want these agencies to look at these sorts of things. How did they get it, how is it stored, did he really only do what he said with it. Did any one else get at it inadvertently. That’s their job.

Triggering that sort of investigation into the wrong doing that let him access that shit in the first place was supposedly the point.

And it doesn’t really matter that he was trying to get to Ecuador, or that it was Hong Kong. What unifies these places is they’re under autocratic regimes. Dissidents and journalist are frequently openly “disappeared”.

If you’re really worried about being taken out by the powers that be. It’s at least a little weird to go to places where that’s the rule.

You’re not any safer in these places. Just more likely to be valuable for a while.

1 Like

I’m inclined to think you never give up an extra passport you have. More escape options.

9 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I just think that Snowden was really naive. He was naive to go to Hong Kong and he was naive to try to go to Ecuador through Moscow.

3 Likes

He could have moved to France and escaped extradition. But it wasn’t a sexual crime against a minor.

8 Likes

Wait… no no no.

Hong Kong is not China. That’s kind of a fucked up thing to say.

4 Likes

Well, at least it wasn’t then…

3 Likes

Well at this point we’ve been watching a couple years of China stomping on Hong Kong Dissidents.

There were certainly plenty of disappearances and mysterious deaths among Hong Kong based dissidents and critics of China well before the current crack down.

I mean even if your goal is go where the CIA can’t get ya. I’m pretty sure they’re all the fuck over Hong Kong.

The US government isn’t open to conversations about right or wrong, no matter how wrong their actions might have been. They’re about shutting down whistleblowers. Just ask Reality Winner. Snowden isn’t wrong to get dual citizenship.

5 Likes