EFF Border Search Pocket Guide

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/10/eff-border-search-pocket-guide.html

1 Like

6 Likes

“If you are a lawful permanent resident agents might raise complicated questions about your continued status as a resident”

In other words they will lie to you and try to get you to sign a document giving up your green card status.
Some Legal U.S. Residents Forced to Forfeit Green Card: Attorney – NBC 7 San Diego (beware autoplay)
Lawsuit: Dozens of immigrants trying to enter the US coerced into giving up visas and green cards after Trump travel ban (also fucking autoplay)
Immigration officials coerced Yemenis to sign away green cards, suit claims | Trump travel ban | The Guardian

Do not sign anything you don’t understand and be prepared for a long stay as they will try to deny you legal advice.

5 Likes

I wonder how they would respond to someone who answers honestly “I don’t know any of my passwords since I use a password manager which I left at home but feel free to poke around this burner phone if you like”

Also, I’m curious if they just try to collect your credentials for perusal later by a different department or do they paw through your stuff while you wait (and ask why you visit radical left wing sites like Boing Boing)? If the former then one solution would be to set temporary passwords before you get to security and then change them immediately after getting through.

3 Likes

Missing is the last step where you ditch the handy reference card before being searched. Even if you do everything else right, seems like that would be a red flag by itself.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.