EFF study: ed-tech is spying on America's kids and not telling them about it

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/25/leave-those-kids-alone.html

1 Like

I would be more than furious over that.

6 Likes

On the plus side, a dose of ‘nominally “voluntary” surveillance hellhole’ counts as two credits of Civics, so there’s that.

3 Likes

How many of these programs are used that don’t require you to ‘opt in’ to receive all the benefits of online courses? “I’m sorry, Ms. Smith, but since you aren’t allowing us to datamine your child, we can’t monitor his coursework to see if he needs extra tutoring in math, or tailor it accordingly.”

1 Like

Aren’t tests, quizzes and homework all just modes of data collection? That was always why I refused to do them as a kid.

1 Like

Yeah, but usually they don’t end up in a monetizable database.

5 Likes

It’s only a matter of time before Betsy DeVos makes that the case here in the States.

4 Likes

I’m surprised Corey didn’t mention Apple’s commitment to privacy:

Apple will never track, share, or sell student information for advertising or marketing purposes. We don’t build profiles of students based on their email content or web browsing habits. We also don’t collect, use, or disclose personal student information other than to provide educational services. Apple will not sell personal student information or disclose student information for targeting of advertisements to students.
As a further demonstration of our commitment, Apple has created an Apple Privacy Policy along with the Apple School Manager Agreement to cover how we collect, use, disclose, transfer, and store user information. We have also signed the Student Privacy Pledge.

1 Like

Which is here:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.