Egg drop experiment fails

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/07/egg-drop-experiment-fails.html

4 Likes

We did that in 4th grade. They dropped them off the school roof. The trick - regardless of your box - was remembering that eggs are sturdier standing up.

5 Likes

Looks like that dog took a crack at it once they were done.

8 Likes

I love the way North Americans freak out over eating raw eggs.

Some countries do it all the time. Hell, if you’ve ever had cake batter, real mayonnaise, or even a fried egg sunny side up, you’ve basicly eaten raw egg.

Just let the dog do its thing. Ain’t no big deal.

4 Likes

It’s more of a danger to the dog to snatch up and eat things it randomly wants to that it is not supposed to be eating. Could’ve been something that was harmful for the dog to eat. In this case it clearly wasn’t but if i had a dog i would’ve chided them as well because you don’t want them to make a habit of it.

And i’ve eaten my fair share of raw eggs on food, it’s quite nice but one does have to be mindful that there’s always a chance you can get sick. I don’t worry about it since i don’t do it often.

10 Likes

Don’t waste food.

3 Likes

I am going to take the kiddo to an egg drop today. Lucky for us it is at the library, and my parents Vizsla dog died awhile ago.

4 Likes

I sort-of won the 4th grade egg drop with the help of my dad’s suggestion to bend the rules.

My first thought was to make a big cage out of plastic straws but he suggested nesting the egg in the center of a plastic frisbee. Instead of dropping the egg, the judge tossed it like a frisbee, and it floated gently to the ground.

Another judge said I was cheating. They ended up giving out two first price ribbons and told me “don’t do it again” (?)

21 Likes

Mine was nestled in a lot of bubble wrap, taped into a plastic cup, which had been fitted with a parachute. I take egg safety very seriously…

12 Likes

Seems folks outside of the US might do with a bit more caution about raw eggs:

5 Likes

U.S. eggs are treated differently than much of the world. We wash and scrub them which removes the outer protective layer and leaves the egg porous. This requires us to refrigerate them in order to prevent bacterial infection. Also, we do not vaccinate our chickens against salmonella so eggs can be infected by the mother before the shell hardens. That means raw eggs here can be a bit dangerous.

11 Likes

Also the conditions where the chickens are raised and fed are much much worse in the US. The fact that abroad they don’t wash the eggs is an incentive for the farmers to make sure that the living conditions are good because otherwise the eggs will be really nasty. Not a problem here in the US if they live in squalor because they wash the eggs eventually. I’m sure salmonella is still a concern but not as much.

9 Likes

Yea but a dozen deadly eggs go for just a dollar! Freedom! We’re number one!

11 Likes

re: eggs and refrigeration

4 Likes

7 Likes

I was waiting for the yolk at the end, I chuckled.

4 Likes

Both have good information, but @TacoChucks’s link has better estimates for how many people get sick from eggs. Fundamentally, both areas have a very small number of serious illness caused by salmonella and the methods and flaws are well understood.

EDIT

As a related aside, the Japanese people I knew that ate raw eggs regularly basically knew the risk, and knew it was safer than many places outside your clean home that could get you sick. Same for eating rare/medium rare chicken.

I put a second egg in my contraption (a toilet paper role with propellers designed to slow it down, inspired by maple tree seeds) and marked it with an “x” and explained that the marked one is there to serve as a buffer (I aimed the “pointy” end of real egg at the wide end of the sacrificial egg). My physics teacher didn’t really pay attention in all the excitement and I was roundly razzed for cheating…

Not that it mattered since both eggs broke anyway

3 Likes

Raw eggs are delicious. Lots of Asian dishes are improved with a raw egg (ramen, pho, just about any rice dish).

2 Likes

Having gotten food poisoning a few times, and eaten my share of uncooked or under cooked eggs and meat, it always has been places you wouldn’t expect. Fast food, the cafeteria at my college, etc.

2 Likes