Egg drop experiment fails

Your very own Kobayashi Maru…and at an even more precocious age!

4 Likes

I think if someone is clever enough to bend the rules that shows good problem solving skills, and that the issue is also that the parameters for the problem were not set up correctly. An important thing in science.

Don’t blame the player, blame the game.

6 Likes

Yeah, I agree that kitchen sanitation is a much larger factor.

2 Likes

I was assuming this particular freak out was about the potential for cleanup. They had a nice little landing pad setup for the experiment, but who knows where the dog would take the egg before it broke it.

2 Likes

I took a plastic container with a snap on lid - carved out a cavity from foam to put inside the plastic that fit with the egg standing up - and put 2-3 fishing weights in the bottom so it would land properly oriented. Worked a charm.

2 Likes

I had to live without a frig for several months - eggs were a staple! They keep quite a while - and you can just put them in water to make sure they haven’t gone bad.

6 Likes

Have we just seen a dog eating someone’s homework on video? That’s got to be good for some sort of Mythbusters award, that is.

8 Likes

I’ve always eaten eggs “over easy” with a runny yolk and never gotten food poisoning. No one in my family has, ever, and while we try and wash boards and tools after processing raw fowl we’re not very anal about it. A friend who is anal, using bleach on the whole kitchen after working with chicken, says she has gotten food poisoning multiple times. Can some people just be more susceptible?

1 Like

The best way to cheat at egg drops is to hollow out a perfectly egg-sized hole inside a nerf ball of some kind. No impact whatsoever.

1 Like

In high school I once won an egg drop contest by placing the egg in a plastic vitamin jar filled with oobleck. The non-Newtonian properties caused the fluid to stiffen on impact, so it was almost as if the egg was momentarily encased in concrete. Much heavier than the competitors’ devices, the thing was dropped off the 7th floor of a building and hit the concrete with a mighty thud, three separate times. The shell survived unscathed, though I would guess that the insides got pretty well scrambled.

I’m tempted to repeat the experiment some day using a glass jar or maybe a balloon instead of a plastic container. I like the idea of seeing the oobleck flow away after impact, leaving the exposed, unbroken egg just sitting on the ground.

8 Likes

Nice design!

My team won the egg drop contest at a college summer engineering camp for high schoolers (yes, I was that flavor of nerd). The design was similarly simple: we made a wheel-shape out of open-cell foam and a rectangular “axle” with a tight-fitting cavity for the egg. The axle pulled through the center hole of the wheel and fit tightly. We spent most of the build time picking bits out of the surface of the foam wheel to add surface area. Next closest team had their egg break (barely, though) when dropped off the 4th floor. Ours never broke, even from the roof of the building (6th floor equivalent), multiple times. We’d roll it to drop it, and it would either slowly drop in the “wheel” formation, or glide off like a lazy frisbee. Either way, egg was protected.

2 Likes

In our high school competition, my team wrapped our egg in a Volvo 740. Not a scratch.

It was a private school.

5 Likes

Nice! Was it dropped on the local public school’s egg supply? How very DeVos-ian!

3 Likes

That was just so cool I had to copy it to read it again.

DO IT!

3 Likes

When you do, and you will, please film it from multiple angles (and in slo-mo if you can).

2 Likes

Woot. Our egg lived!

3 Likes

TIFO said they couldn’t get concrete numbers and didn’t speculate on it.

That’s what I usually try to do at ‘team-building seminars’ and stuff like that.
After all, if the team manages to work together in a way that they can distract and hoodwink the supervisor/trainer into not noticing that the team cheated and instead make them think that this team finished the given task in record time - arguably the goal of the whole exercise has been met.

1 Like

There is a professor that encourages his students to cheat at an exam, it’s a pretty notorious exercise and some of the solutions people have come up with over the years are really really ingenious.

Interesting, thanks,