"Either join us or grow other potatoes," says Pepsi to small farmers in India it's suing

SIr3

11 Likes

You%20will%20grow%20our%20potatoes

9 Likes

I wonder where they got the potato stock if it’s so sooper-sekret and exclusive. Like, was there actual intentional effort to get ahold of these special taters and grow them, or was it accidental, or something else entirely?

12 Likes

Presumably, any raw potato from any of the “special” crops will do the trick in a pinch.

4 Likes

Potato spies have eyes everywhere.

37 Likes

Reboing:

4 Likes

Right, I get that part. But I’m curious about the specific farmers who are being sued and how Pepsi even knew they were growing the “proprietary” potatoes.

I can see several scenarios, some involving intentional provocation to protest bad laws, some involving entrapment by an evil corporation, and others involving just the usual accidental flustercuck of fate.

3 Likes

Ah, missed the thread on the other posting on this story. I should read that and see if there’s more information there.

1 Like

Done.

Also, o_O.

6 Likes

How did these farmers get the special potatoes? “Life finds a way.” Imagine if Pepsi found their magic potatoes growing in an abandoned field or in the greenspace of a highway interchange, who do they sue for that? There isn’t much to go on here, did the farmers know these were the special Pepsi-tatoes? Would you or I somehow know that the potato we planted from a cutting off another potato is verboten?

9 Likes

If they found out Mark Watney was growing their proprietary breed they probably would’ve financed a courier ship to Mars just to send a cease and desist order.

8 Likes

Maybe the farmers have been growing these potatoes for centuries and Pepsi stole from them? Stuff like that has happened.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Did they get @beschizza to put all those eyes on the potato?

5 Likes

No thanks, I don’t want potatoes to have mouths.

6 Likes

Indeed! It is one of the many possible scenarios.

This is the kind of behavior that created the so-called ‘banana republics’ of Central America.

If this is so important, provide these farmers with seed, fertilizer and machinery to convert to another breed and don’t make a BFD about it. Finally, does this mean that Lays chips are imported from India?

I mean damn! Even our junk food comes from India?

2 Likes

I guess the pollen that carries the genome doesn’t blow through the air from the potato plants and fertilize other potato plants?

How much do you want to bet that the potatos the Indian farmers have are NOT genetically identical to the Lays patented ones?

Mutations will out. Bite it, Pepsi.

3 Likes

Someone pointed them out.

Invasion of the Pepsi Snatchers

4 Likes