El Cajon police say unarmed black man pointed vape at officer before he was shot to death

I hope that I have not claimed to be speak for the white community. And I don’t really assert that the senior members of Christian Identity want violence to be a part of their actions. But these things are happening, for whatever reason. Those bombers and fringe groups that seem to show up at Christian Identity events are affecting the public message, and the perceived goals of white people.

15 Likes

Regardless of similarities in some very loosely shared ideas on a few topics, the comparison’s utterly perverted.

BLM are like the guy in front of the tank, not the authoritarians ordering the tanks to be deployed. By their own words and deeds they are clearly not attempting to form a political movement that gains full authority over the nation through a violent revolution that imposes anti-liberal totalitarian control over the means of production, markets, education, and ideology, regardless of whether you imagine they’re secretly doing so.

They’re the one’s protesting illiberal treatment, not proposing it, and it’s ludicrous and frankly offensive to make comparisons suggesting the opposite.

18 Likes

Same here. I hate having to apologize for the entire white community every time a white person shoots up a school, or kills his entire family, or puts a bomb somewhere. I’ve had to constantly remind people that Ted Kaczynski, Eric Rudolph, Luke John Helder, Terry Nichols, Timothy McVeigh, etc share my skin color but they do not share my values. People constantly assume I’m a white supremacist just because I’m white, and old black ladies cross the street every time they see me. Black people always have big open-carry protests with assault rifles and they’re laughing it up with the cops, while a white guy gets shot to death in the Wal-Mart across from where I used to work just because he was carrying a gun from that same store.

Wait, the guy killed in Wal-Mart was black? The open-carry guys are mostly white? I’m scary as a bag of kittens, and I never have to defend my race to anybody? Who knew?

16 Likes

16 Likes

Back up for a moment – this is one of several threads about police shooting unarmed black people, something we know happens out of proportion to population. And each time, you have been offering whatever reasons you could think to separate the shootings from any racial factor, or at least to say we don’t know enough to say. Need more statistics to say there is even a problem.

But now you have changed things to Black Lives Matter, and it gets no such benefit of the doubt. After dismissing national news as too focused on black victims to tell if it there is a real race problem, you actually offer headlines about protest violence as full proof there is a problem there. The stats, whether we know everything, need no interrogation there. Fine, so maybe you’re a little jaded because your son had a bad experience with them. But will you allow, then, the experiences of the countless black people who’ve had horrible experiences with police? You haven’t been.

This is another example of what bibliophile20 spelled out above, where you apply the most extreme double standards to these things. Repeated incidents need to be dissected and a rigorous p-test done to know if we care, unless it is the sort of thing conservatives care about, when a single news report is enough to show impending disaster.

I don’t understand why you don’t care that you keep doing this. As a supposed centrist, even as someone dedicated to honesty and fairness, I would think you would be mortified to see yourself making such a mistake.

15 Likes

Speaking only for myself;

I don’t want you to, because I know that it’s not your fault, and such an apology wouldn’t fix anything even if you were somehow personally culpable.

What I want is what many of the members of the Black Community want;

We want our voices to be heard, instead of just being automatically dismissed out of hand.

We want the laws and policy to be amended, actually upheld consistently, and applied with as little bias or discrimination as possible.

We want agency for ourselves, instead of needing to have someone advocate on our behalf, because our perspective is often deemed ‘untrustworthy.’

We want acknowledgment that we are human beings whose individual lives have as much worth as anyone else’s, not less.

And lastly, we want allies who understand that this is a systemic problem which has existed for centuries, and that it cannot be fixed by one single act, overnight… or via a hashtag, or a tweet… Allies who are willing to call out the deplorable mistreatment and injustice wherever & whenever it happens, and who will stand with us for what’s right.

7 Likes

You are correct that my references to BLM are off topic. I did not bring up the subject, but should not have pursued it here.

The issue of who is driving the tanks and who is standing in front of them unarmed is often a matter of the shifting power dynamic. The PLA did not start out driving the tanks. They used to be a largely student-led movement, angry about income inequality and corruption in government.

You had me going for a minute there!

5 Likes

Awesome. It’s nice that out of all the things said to you, points made and chances to work on your hypocrisy, that is the one thing you care to acknowledge.

Before continuing with an even more off-topic post about Marxists, something you did bring up. It definitely shows just how committed you are to honest engagement with the people here – I guess I’ve been responding with the wrong button.

For everyone else, I found some other cartoons that seemed pertinent but couldn’t really work into the thread: A Good Cartoon — mlk and civil rights protests in cartoons: then, as now
They aren’t actually funny, though, just sad.

11 Likes

Let me know when BLM members loudly disclaim Confucianism and claim to have a way to lead the US out of its rural agrarian present, into a modern technologically advanced society by embracing nationalism, industrialism, strength in resisting Japanese influence, modern science, and military dominance over their nation, forming armed militias to pursue a revolution overcoming the US feudal monarchy and the various splintered armies of feudal warlords dominating different areas of the US. Then we can talk.

16 Likes

For everyone else, I found some other cartoons that seemed pertinent but couldn’t really work into the thread:

Thank you, they’re absolutely pertinent to what a certain someone has been saying so persistently here.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.