Elementary school evacuated due to active shooter that turned out to be loud science experiment

Originally published at: Elementary school evacuated due to active shooter that turned out to be loud science experiment | Boing Boing

7 Likes

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! Greatest country on Earth!

14 Likes

Ok, embarassing, but imagine if an active shooter did gain the power of science

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

10 Likes

11 Likes

Ummm, what does that even mean?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

And cue this incident to hammering in another nail into the coffin of modern science education. Back in the 80s, I remember my high school chemistry teacher complaining about not being able to show us half the chemistry we were supposed to be learning; once they inevitably remove the “baking soda and vinegar” class of ingredients, what are we left with? “Watch this ice melt faster when we add salt?” That’s going to encourage STEM students no end.

11 Likes

Salt lobby on line 1 complaining about how you’re vilifying salt (and affecting their bottom line)

/s

3 Likes

'ealth and safety, innit?

1 Like

Considering the US, it is probably wise to give a heads up if you know you’re going to be causing explosions. Living in a country with saner gun control laws, we could just assume that loud bangs coming from the natural sciences wing were an indication that a class was having an entertaining lesson.

5 Likes

If “the front office and nobody else was aware…”, it seems they need to work on that.

3 Likes

My 80s chemistry teacher blew up two lots of lab equipment demonstrating the more exciting metals and their reactions with water and caused the entire science block to be evacuated due to allowing us to investigate the burning point of sulphur. He was great.

3 Likes

My chemistry teacher burned a hole in the classroom’s concrete floor with one of his stunts. I didn’t get to witness it, but I did see the result.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.