Here's an expandable vault to protect students during routine school shootings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/28/heres-an-expandable-vault-to.html

4 Likes

For every problem there is answer that is obvious, simple, and wrong.

67 Likes

I’m glad somebody wasn’t struck speechless by this. I sure was.

18 Likes

Too much talking heads and fearmongering. Easy demonstration: put several ballistic gel dummies inside and fire several AP rounds at it. Although I am in favor of using it as a tornado shelter – is it anchored to the floor?

6 Likes

FTFY.

*sensible gun control laws, I mean; not this impractical non-solution.

6 Likes

Wait, they’re talking about using MY tax dollars to protect crisis actors from totally harmless so-called “guns?”

21 Likes

This is so many kinds of stupid. The psycho in Florida wasn’t killing people by shooting through locked doors and walls. He pulled the fire alarm to make sure the kids at the school would be out in the open instead of hiding behind locked doors and walls.

“Fire drill is over, kids! Come back to class, I should be able to get our emergency vault assembled in 20 seconds or so. Oh dear; let me find that manual.”

28 Likes

22 Likes

Holy Cow! I found myself hoping that this was parody and there would be a punch line at the end. I can’t believe things have come to this.

18 Likes

jump to 4:04 to skip the fear appeal

1 Like

The answer to a mental health and guns issue is not additional hardware.
People get shot at work, at the mall and elsewhere - are we gonna have these everywhere?

1 Like

Leaving aside the fear mongering, despair that the issue exists at all and tackling the wrong end of the problem to look at the product.

How is this competitive compared to an armored bullet proof door at the front of the classroom?

A door is intuitive to use, nicer space, less oppressive and significantly cheaper then add optional bullet proof windows on the ground floor.

I get the feeling that this is a good product designed as a tornado shelter for high risk areas (the battery backup is very excessive for a shooting situation) that a sales droid has gotten distribution rights for and decided to market it for schools. Sadly it will probably work.

1 Like

Projectiles can come from any direction, through walls, floors, windows, etc.

1 Like

I wonder if these shelters require cash or will take credit before the door locks.

17 Likes

Wow that was a disgusting advertisement, no matter what noble motivations they may think they have.

I must say the red, white, and blue logo is a nice touch. Very appropriate.

Also, what happens when you underestimated the average girth of your students and you install flesh safes that can’t hold all of them? Are the heaviest forced to remain outside? “Sorry, Johnny. We’d have to leave two outside if we let you in. You should have took phys-ed more seriously. Good luck.”

14 Likes

In the face of certain death, who WOULDN’T want to be locked in an inescapable steel box crammed full of terrified people while bullets ricochet off the walls?

I mean, ANYTHING to protect America’s most valuable and vulnerable, your precious precious guns.

6 Likes

Well, it’s perfectly within the usual logic of the right in their response to these things.
“We need to fortify classrooms and have drills. Also we’ll have armed guards to deter shooters. Also maybe we’ll raise the age at which you can buy the guns and increase penalties for shooters.”
“The shooter made sure everyone was out of the classroom and used their knowledge of the drills in the attack. An armed guard didn’t deter him. Most shooters are over 21 and kill themselves.”
“Clearly we need to further fortify the classrooms and have more armed guards! Also, the death penalty!”

I just saw a news report that a teacher barricaded himself into a classroom and shot his gun today. I wonder how that’s going to play with the NRA and their puppets, or if they’re just going to ignore that one, too.

10 Likes

Hey, if schools can use fear of a school shooter (which won’t ever happen) to equip their school with shelters for tornadoes (which happen as often/ more often and can be more deadly), I’m good with it!

Statstically, a classroom will never have this kind of school shooter in it. Which is why there hasn’t been a rush to go out and buy locking door handles for closets and classrooms. But drills are free and were designed to give parents a sense of security that their schools were Doing Something About The Problem TM without spending actual funds. That backfired…

2 Likes

This seems like as relevant a thread as any to post this:

23 Likes

No, they aren’t. The direct financial cost might be slight (depending on how you measure wasted teacher time), but the indirect and non-financial costs are significant.

18 Likes