Here's an expandable vault to protect students during routine school shootings

So… once it’s full of kids, how easy is it to collapse it back down again?

11 Likes

The number of American children who have died in school shootings over the last 20 years is orders of magnitude greater than the number of children who died when their schools were hit by tornadoes. The last time there was a double-digit death toll from a tornado hitting an American school was 1967.

Most classrooms already have locking doors. The high school in Florida had a full lockdown procedure rehearsed and ready to go in case of an active shooter, but the shooter threw all that out the window by pulling the fire alarm before the massacre.

16 Likes

Jesus. After I was through being horrified, I was reminded of the lyrics to Hawkwind’s Sonic Attack. But Michael Moorcock intended that to be dystopian.

2 Likes

I wish i had read your comment first. At the very end of the fear appeal, with the visuals being just white words on a black screen, the sound people working on this really didn’t want to stop the bullets

3 Likes

I assumed it would be, “sorry, Johnny, your parents don’t make as much money as the rest of the students, so, even though Billy is twice the size of you, his parents make way more money. If your parents loved you more they’d have more money.”

6 Likes

Now that i’ve gotten used to the anger and disapproval somewhat, i have a logistical question: where exactly in any classroom is this going to fit? Even folded it takes up a bunch of room. And when you’re about to open it you’re going to have to clear the space around, so nothing at all heavy around it.

1 Like

Active Shooter Security (ASS)

switzerland_donkey

5 Likes

Came for the ASS joke, left satisfied.

2 Likes

So many schools can’t afford books - yet money will be found for this.

16 Likes

Methinks the Yes Men have lost all subtlety with this one.

1 Like

I wonder how fireproof these things are. Get everyone to panic and go into the “shelter” and then set fire to the surrounding area. Not a good idea.

My wife refers to the Pulowski Preservation shelters in Fallout 4 as “Easybake ovens”.

5 Likes

I was thinking of this

6 Likes

I can barely find that article in the news around here (Outside Georgia). No one died, so no one cares.

2 Likes

I’ve got one of these shelters in my living room and I just love it. We run family “active shooter” drills weekly to ensure we are prepared. With practice we’ve gotten the unfolding time down to 15 seconds, and really, how many rounds from a semiautomatic could a shooter let fly in that time? I’ve played enough FPSs to know that I can absorb a few hits before my health level gets critical.

8 Likes

Christ, what assholes. (The subject of the sentence is “all of us”.)

Right now the nation is on edge and over sensitive. That’s the perfect time for opportunists like this to peddle what they know will never be used at prices only the fearful would consider.

3 Likes

Hey, the more public money our politicians can funnel to corporations, the more money corporations will funnel into their pockets… and really, isn’t what the American system is really all about? /s

7 Likes

When did “active shooter” become the go-to term? It’s so bloody tautologous!
What’s the alternative? An inactive shooter?

6 Likes

With a little chalk board paint you gain a few extra boards no?

Chalk not included.

2 Likes