Here's an expandable vault to protect students during routine school shootings

Very forward thinking, but I don’t think it goes far enough.

I propose we give every school age child in the US one of these Mark-III bear suits :
troy-new-suit
This proposal addresses multiple threats, simultaneously protecting our kids from active shooters and from the savage bears roaming our nation’s public schools.

It’ll be expensive, that’s true, but these would be 100% Made in America Bear Suits- that way we stimulate economic growth, and families can help defray the cost with all the money they’re saving on taxes!

4 Likes

FTFY.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927194536/http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton%2FLayout%2FArticle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1168470616997&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

If He Who Must Not Be Named doesn’t slap a tariff on them, these could fix our trade deficit all by themselves. :wink::canada:

1 Like

Keeping in mind that this product addresses a symptom (flying bullets) instead of the issue (mental health x easily obtained war weapons), I’d go for placement that keeps the box out of the way, while permitting fast and effective deployment: Stowed behind the door of the classroom. If that’s not possible, positioned so it can open and cover the door of the classroom.

I’d also enhance the exposed surfaces to serve the classroom setting: cover it with cork board or whiteboard surfaces as much as possible without compromising its primary purpose: 21st-century fallout shelter.

1 Like

Or just, you know, lock the door.

Yeah, that’ll probably turn out to be the case.

By golly, I stand corrected.

I guess if Hurtubise was from the US, the Mark III would have incorporated firearms and large capacity magazines in all four limbs.

2 Likes

This frankly feels like something Dahir Insaat would have come up with.

1 Like

But, you ask, what if we have a shooter who’s already inside the VAST6 which satisfies FEMA Manual 453, National Institute of Justice Level III, and UL 752, Level 8 requirements?

We simply have a preplaced, second VAST6 which satisfies FEMA Manual 453, National Institute of Justice Level III, and UL 752, Level 8 requirements inside the first VAST6 which satisfies FEMA Manual 453, National Institute of Justice Level III, and UL 752, Level 8 requirements.

A safe room within a safe room! What could be safer?

4 Likes

In the meantime, politicians don’t say, “Let’s see why many other western countries don’t have mass shootings and learn from that.”

1 Like

For that, you need the Trojan Suit.

“Another unique feature of the suit – a first of its kind in the world–is a left and right hip magnetic holster system for twin 9 mm handguns.”

1 Like

It’s safe rooms all the way down

1 Like

with the bars over the ballistic hardened windows and the vault in front of the door it’s foolproof. unless of course he has access to the vast6 hardened bunker opener, for when you absolutely have to get at your neighbors bean stash.

2 Likes

Maybe 5 years ago I was on a flight from Oklahoma City to Denver. I sat beside a guy who casually mentioned that he held a patent on bullet-proof backpacks for kids. The idea was that in an active shooter situation, kids would don their backpacks in reverse thus providing some measure of protection to a torso shot from the front. As a Canadian who thankfully spends little time worrying about the safety of my school-aged children, I just sat and listened to his business plan in slack-jawed silence.

3 Likes

Let’s face it, it would only be a matter of (unsurprisingly little) time before a school shooter shows up with something armor-piercing.
Weapons technology has made great improvements since something as basic as the Lahti L-39.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.