Alabama middle-school principal asks students to bring canned food to throw at school shooters

[Permalink]

• Dumb idea, Reason number 57

… from what I recall of middle school the cans will be hurled at one another in the absence of an intruder.

21 Likes

Unfortunately, now cans are defined as weapons. And are banned from all schools. Only outlaws will have cans :-0

24 Likes

Somebody was confused by their “active shooter” training video.

[edit] For the sake of clarity over levity, I’ll elaborate. The “active shooter” video that I recently saw included the throwing of objects at the assailant if one is unable to flee. They used chairs and fire extinguishers, but I suppose cans might suffice. :confused:

4 Likes

I smell onion…

I’ve read the linked article, and article that one linked to…

But I still smell onion.

3 Likes

I read this earlier and read the article.

I couldn’t help pointing out how they are talking about the STUDENTS throwing the cans, not a single mention of any of the adults doing so.

6 Likes

Well, hell, I don’t know? It does seem really stupid, but at this point, why the hell not??

3 Likes

I can only conclude that this is the result of some kind of “broken telephone”. Like, a whole bunch of people were having a wild brainstorming session, and someone said, “We bring canned food for the food drives sometimes, and it hurts when they get thrown”, and someone else wrote it down, and someone else typed up the minutes, and someone made a PowerPoint presentation, and eventually no one thought to question how this one item kept turning up.

Because they can’t actually be serious.

4 Likes

Right? This is at least an official recognition that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. In America. . . this counts as progress!

4 Likes

It’s so absurd that you hope and pray it is satire.

I guess doing something like evacuation drills is prudent. But really, school shootings are incredibly rare. I guess some security measures are prudent. This isn’t one of them.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, the Crocodile Dundee Protocol…

6 Likes

What times these are, when I can post outre stuff off the top of my head and then read about it as “news” a few hours later!

11 Likes

“shooter” holds up can of tuna IM MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT !!! kid holds up 48 oz can of tomato juice That’s not a can - THIS is a can!

15 Likes

Someone must have opened the canned soup.

BTW, here are the links from the scanned letter:

http://www.lakegenevanews.net/Articles-Geneva-Linn-Township-i-2013-11-21-251637.114135-Schools-prepare-for-violent-intruders.html

4 Likes

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy kid with a gun can of food.

13 Likes

CAUTION: Trespassers will be Spammed.

29 Likes

Arguably more useful than the “active shooter” training we got at work. The documentation flat out states that our safety is our own responsibility, but employees are forbidden from bringing weapons to work.

I don’t have any cans, but I do have a stack of dead hard drives. I’ll keep them within arm’s reach.

4 Likes

Groan! Good one!

Next will they be invited to bring an extra can of Axe™ body spray so they can hose down the attacker with noxious fumes?

3 Likes

I like your can do attitude.

10 Likes